SOLVED - Virtualization error on Windows 10 with Intel T9550

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fje

SOLVED - Virtualization error on Windows 10 with Intel T9550

Post by fje »

SOLVED. Simply I downgraded VirtualBox to 6.1.30r148432 and problem dissapeared, SOLVED.
Virtual machine settings are the same.

Something to have people from support or development to think and work on it. I maintain the original post in order to give them the problem information.

Regards.

Hi, I am running Virtualbox in a Lenovo T500 with Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 running with 64bits and 8Gb memory, today when I tried to load the virtual Windows XP Pro I have defined, I get following and well known error:

Fallo al abrir una sesión para la máquina virtual Windows XP Pro.
Not in a hypervisor partition (HVP=0) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).
VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).
Código resultado: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Componente: ConsoleWrap
Interfaz: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Virtualization is enabled in the BIOS.
If I ask in Windows taskmanager, it says Virtualization is Active (for the case I disabled it, reboot, then shutdown, enabled it, and reboot, no way)
Hyper-V of Windows is not enabled in windows characteristics.
Virtual machine is defined with 1Gb, it is a Windows XP Pro.
Virtualbox is 6.1.32r149290 (just updated a couple of days ago)
In the virtual machine settings-processor-PAE/NX is enabled. VT-x/AMD-V is disabled and in grey, no way to enable it. - Chipset PIIX3 in Motherboard
In the virtual machine settings-Acceleration-Interface: Predetermined (I tried other options, same result)
In the virtual machine settings-Acceleration-Hardware of Acceleration-Enable nested paging is not enabled and in grey, no way to enable it
I tried all the possible solutions for the problem I found, no way, it doesn't work. It was working yesterday, no changes in the system. Today it doesn't work. Any idea of resolve the problem?

Thanks for any help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: SOLVED - Virtualization error on Windows 10 with Intel T9550

Post by scottgus1 »

The error you had was related to VT-x/AMD-V not being enabled on the host PC's BIOS, if I remember correctly. Your processor has VT-x available though the PC BIOS also needs to expose it to let the OS and virtualizers use it.

I don't know why you'd have the error in 6.1.32 and not 6.1.30. If you upgrade again and hit the error, see I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests and HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active)
fje

Re: SOLVED? - Virtualization error on Windows 10 with Intel T9550

Post by fje »

Sorry for being late in answering, but, even I subscribed to this topic, I didn't get indication of your post.

I checked again everything that the two post you refer to indicates, and everything is OK and as expected.

Then I did a fresh download of 6.1.32 version to be sure I have a correct one and not one that could have any error.

I did a system shutdown and reboot, installed 6.1.32, again shutdown and reboot, started 6.1.32, tried to execute again the Windows XP virtual machine and same error came.

Then I used the old 6.1.30 installer file (that fortunately I still had), installed it, system shutdown, re-boot, and again my virtual Windows-XP machine executes without any problem.

So, it should be some problem inside the changes in the 6.1.32 version, because 6.1.30 works, 6.1.32 doesn't.

I can, for the time being, stay with 6.1.30, but if any additional test can be done or any log file can be produced that could explain why 6.1.32 gives the error, tell me, I am ready to try it.

Thanks and regards.

Javier
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Different host PCs have had different reactions to Virtualbox running on top of Hyper-V, and 6.1.32 has a bug in it over Hyper-V. So your PC responding to 6.1.30 but not 6.1.32, and having different error messages than more modern PC users are reporting, could be expected.

Staying with 6.1.30 is just fine for now, on the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" paradigm. If you'd like to go up to 6.1.32 temporarily and provide a zipped vbox.log of the failed run thorough the forum's Upload Attachment tab, that may help the devs.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for reporting your experiments. :)

This issue (VirtualBox 6.1.32 only + VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED + VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE) has been reported a few times already, but it's still a mystery, because the VirtualBox hypervisor initialization procedures apparently didn't change in the area where both error messages are produced (between 6.1.30 and 6.1.32).

As a shot in the dark: Perhaps a certain combination of Windows features is necessary to trigger this behavior. Could you provide screenshots of the Windows-Feature dialog with all check marks visible?
fje

Post by fje »

Hi, fth0, is this screen capture what you are looking for? Hope you can look at it and it is of help.
Windows Features.rar
(68.2 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Scott, I will try to find some time tomorrow or the day after to install again .32 and run it and find the log file you ask for, but once the error is produced, where should I look for the log file? in the Virtualbox installation or in the data folder one?

Thanks for your help and kind regards.

P.S.: of course, for the time being I will stay in .30, the usual IT proverb "Does it work? Do not touch it" applies :P

Javier
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

fje wrote:Hi, fth0, is this screen capture what you are looking for? Hope you can look at it and it is of help.
Yes, thanks. I was looking for any Windows feature that implicitly uses Hyper-V VMs, and I haven't seen one, if my guessing of Spanish languages terms was good enough. ;) If you're using any so-called security software (e.g. Avast, Avira, ...), you could look for enhance security features using VM technology and turn them off for a test.
fje wrote:I can, for the time being, stay with 6.1.30, but if any additional test can be done or any log file can be produced that could explain why 6.1.32 gives the error, tell me, I am ready to try it.
Thanks for the offer, Javier. :)

This issue is still a mystery, because the VirtualBox checks leading to VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED and "Not in a hypervisor partition" didn't change between VirtualBox 6.1.30 and 6.1.32. Could you please provide two (zipped) VBox.log files (*), one after reproducing the error with VirtualBox 6.1.32, and one of a successful run of VirtualBox 6.1.30? The latter will provide more information about several CPU states as seen by VirtualBox.

(*) The VBox.log files can be found in the Logs subfolder of the VM's folder, or from the VirtualBox Manager via Show Log.

PS: I sent you a forum PM with a similar request yesterday, because I didn't know if you were still following this thread.
fje

Post by fje »

Hi, I had the time for reinstalling version 32, reproduce the problem and also I found where the logs are and... save the good (version 30) ones and produce the version 32 ones.

So, attached you can find two .rar files (hope you can use them) with the logs (Vbox log and VboxHardening log), one for version 32 and the other one a few time ago with the correct version 30 logs.

Regarding the antivirus I have installed, I only have AVG free edition, that do not use any virtualization tool as far as I know and it is the same in v30 and v32, of course.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I still do not get information related to the new posts neither your PM. Just now, after reading your P.S., I went again to my mail and found your PM in my SPAM folder, thanks a lot for it, anyway, I changed it to "not SPAM" and I was able to read it. Interesting, no other message from the forum about new posts.

Thanks again and best regards.

Javier
Virtualbox.30.Logs.rar
(44.33 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
VirtualBox.32.Logs.rar
(23.08 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for the log files. Like all other affected users, your CPU is from the 2008 to 2010 time frame and missing the Unrestricted Guest feature. Unlike the other affected users, your CPU additionally is missing the EPT feature and you're using a 32-bit guest OS, leading to less differences between the log files. That doesn't explain the issue, though.
fje wrote:Regarding the antivirus I have installed, I only have AVG free edition, that do not use any virtualization tool as far as I know and it is the same in v30 and v32, of course.
One other user unchecked "Virtualization assistant for protect the sandbox" within their Avast software and could run their VM(s) with VirtualBox 6.1.32 afterwards. Uninstalling AVG for a test may or may not help.
fje wrote:BTW, I still do not get information related to the new posts
When reading this post, use the search function of your browser to search for "Subscribe topic". You should find it twice. ;)
fje

Post by fje »

Hi, thanks for your answer. I will try to do today the test you propose of uninstall AVG and install again Version 32, and will report results.

Regarding the "subscribe topic", I did a search with the search function of Edge and only found ONE, just below the thread, and it says "subscribe topic" and it is marked, so, I cannot understand why I don't get any notice of new answers :( .

Regards.

Javier
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

fje wrote:Regarding the "subscribe topic", I did a search with the search function of Edge and only found ONE, just below the thread, and it says "subscribe topic" and it is marked
That's the right one, and the other one would have been the one in my posting. ;) Look closer at the one you've found, and recognize that the mark is only an image and the text is a link ... click ;)
fje

Post by fje »

Bingo :!: :!: :!:

I uninstalled AVG free, activated Windows Defender Antivirus, installed version 32 over the current version 30 (as I did always with the other updates), reboot the system and now... it works.

I am enclosing the new logs with version 32 for the case they are helpful.
VirtualBox.Logs.32.rar
(71.97 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
And yes, I saw the link for subscribing the thread and clicked on it... Thanks again for this. Looking at the mark clicked and having started the thread myself, I thought that I was already subscribed.

So, it seems that something in Version 32 have problems with AVG free (as you said with AVAST), it is not a problem for me to stay with Windows Defender, I read that it is also a good protection, so....

Should you need any additional test to be done, let me know and I will try.

Thanks again and kind regards.

Javier
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for the test and the feedback! :)