New version crashes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
BCosell

New version crashes

Post by BCosell »

Just installed VirtualBox-6.1.32-149290-Win on my win10/pro host running a win10/pro guest system. The VM won't start:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win 10.

Failed to construct device 'usb-xhci' instance #0 (VERR_PDM_DEVHLP_VERSION_MISMATCH).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Guess I'll go back to VirtualBox-6.1.30-148432-Win and see what y'all have to say about this..
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: New version crashes

Post by scottgus1 »

Check the Extension Pack. Its version must match the Virtualbox version.
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

Two followups;
first, I just checked and the most-recent extension pack is for 1.30. Didn't see one for 1.32
second: how would that work? assuming I got a 1.32 extension pack, I think in the past I've installed the new version and then, later, installed the updated extension pack
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

BCosell wrote:the most-recent extension pack is for 1.30. Didn't see one for 1.32
The link for the Extension Pack on https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads is for 6.1.32. Did it not install as 6.1.32?
BCosell wrote: I think in the past I've installed the new version and then, later, installed the updated extension pack
Correct. While double clicking the downloaded EP file is supposed to install the EP, occasionally Windows blocks it. Right-click the Virtualbox icon and Run As Administrator, then install the EP from the File menu, Preferences (or File Menu, Tools in the 6.1.97 and possibly 7.0 when it comes out). After the EP is installed, close the Virtualbox window and wait a minute to let the RaA Virtualbox service to die off, then start Virtualbox again normally.
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

Thanks for the info -- I"m a bit surprised that when VB tells me there's a new version and asks me to download it that it doesn't also ask me to download the corresponding extension pack. And, again, when I checked the downloads page it only had 1.30 binaries... I've run into this trap before [I'm clearly in the shallow end of the VB competence pool :o)] because I can never remember where you have to look to find the new versions.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

BCosell wrote:it doesn't also ask me to download the corresponding extension pack.
This sounds like something that could be programmed in. You could post an enhancement request on the Bugtracker.

But there might be an Oracle reason why this isn't done. The EP is a separately-licensed plug-in and maybe the lawyers nixed the push of licensed software.

FWIW you don't have to update when the popup says a new update is available. And the popup can be turned off, see File menu, Preferences, Update.

Unless someone made a goof, the links to the various files on the Downloads page will always be version-synchronized.
BCosell

Post by BCosell »

Thanks for the patience -- I now see the thing that screwed me up. After I loaded the new version, I ran the VM as an ordinary user. It likely DID try to load the extension pack and couldn't. When I re-installed the new version but this time fired it up as admin, it loaded the extension pack automatically and with no problem [and the guest additions, too]. Sorry for being kinda clueless.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Not a problem at all! Glad you're up and running!