upgrade to version 6.1.32 File Manager not Network drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ADEWIT
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

upgrade to version 6.1.32 File Manager not Network drive

Post by ADEWIT »

Hi Guys,

I just upgrade to version 6.1.32 (23/01/2020) and I don't see my network drive in 'Machine/file Manager' as before !

Configuration:
Upgrade to Virtualbox 6.1.32 on Windows 10 Home edition
Ubuntu gest
On the Windows 10 host I have a Network drive ; but I don't see it as before the upgrade in the 'File Manager' to transfert files between the Host and the Guest OS.

Need to be investigate. Any clues ?

Regards

Alain
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: upgrade to version 6.1.32 File Manager not Network drive

Post by mpack »

Although common parlance, I'm not sure what you mean by "network drive".

Do you mean a Guest Additions Shared Folder? If yes then it will be available if you configured one in the VM settings and mounted it in the Ubuntu VM, but you made no mention of doing those things.

Adding to the puzzlement: Linux guests have no concept of a shared drive, so if you go looking for it in a drives list then you will definitely fail to find it.

Windows doesn't have anything specifically labelled as "network drive" either. There may be a branch in Windows Explorer (the shell) called "Network". This is way of organizing objects in Windows Explorer, it is not a drive. If you're saying that you don't see anything like that in your Ubuntu file manager then that would be a configuration problem for Ubuntu having very little to do with VirtualBox. All that VirtualBox would be expected to do is provide network access, which will have happened if you configured Bridged networking.

A picture in this case would help pin down what you're referring to.

A VM log file could tell us if you've enable GA shared folders: make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

ADEWIT wrote:I just upgrade to version 6.1.32 (23/01/2020) and I don't see my network drive in 'Machine/file Manager' as before !
In VirtualBox 6.1.32, there have been made several bugfixes to the File Manager. So it could very well be that you've found a regression, or that it was changed on purpose. Anyway, I'd suggest to create a ticket in the Bugtracker. What type of network drive (e.g. CIFS, SMB, NFS) are you talking about?

PS: @mpack: You seem to have missed the topic. See the VM's menu > Machine > File Manager... and/or 4.8. Guest Control File Manager.
ADEWIT
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by ADEWIT »

Solved
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please let us know what solved the problem?