Ubuntu 20.04.3 Desktop installer hangs in VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
afluther

Ubuntu 20.04.3 Desktop installer hangs in VirtualBox

Post by afluther »

I am running Windows 11 Home 21H2 22000.434 on my Alienware m15 laptop (which also has an nvida gpu) and I have installed VirtualBox 6.1.32
I downloaded the iso for Ubuntu 20.04.3 Desktop LTS and am booting off of that. I get to the screen in Ubuntu where I can run the demo or install Ubuntu. However at that stage, the VM appears to hang and does not respond to keyboard or mouse input on that screen. It responds fine earlier -- e.g. I can use CTRL-C to skip the Ubuntu disk check as the Ubuntu installer loads up.
Any ideas on what the issue might be and how to resolve it? I have searched forums and only found posts about issues with pre-release versions of Windows 11 and the problems were about installing VirtualBox, not installing Ubuntu once VirtualBox is installed.
AndyCot

Re: Ubuntu 20.04.3 Desktop installer hangs in VirtualBox

Post by AndyCot »

If you are using VB 6.1.32 try 6.1.30 and post a followup message indicating if it worked or not.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
afluther

Post by afluther »

With 6.1.30 I was able to proceed -- thanks for that tip!
I was then able to proceed and install Ubuntu in the VM.
Note that later, sending the ACPI Shutdown command to the VM crashed Windows as well, but that is a separate issue.

Attached is the log file from 6.1.32
Attachments
Ubuntu2004LTS-2022-01-20-09-57-01.zip
(29.65 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You currently assign only 1GB RAM and 1 core to this 64bit OS. I would double both. Note that your host is very low on RAM for some reason - out of 16GB installed, only about 3GB is still available. You should consider who the RAM hogs might be and close them down, and/or add more RAM to the host PC.

You also have only 16MB graphics RAM allocated to the VM, despite also enabling 3D acceleration. You should set this to at least 64MB, preferably 128MB (but see para 1).

Maybe install the extension pack as well, though I don't see any aborts that would be due to this.

If you still get aborts on bootup, as a test try disabling 3D acceleration (after fixing and testing the graphics RAM starvation issue mentioned in para 2)