Critical Error / Guru Mediation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
b5414

Critical Error / Guru Mediation

Post by b5414 »

Hello, I have two amd machines with virtualbox

First one pc | Second one (all pretty gaming ready)
---
nvidia gpu | amd gpu
amd cpu | amd cpu
x570 | x470 (mb, both have "SVM - Enabled")
Win10 | Win11 (both lastest)
6.1.32 | 6.1.32 (vbox -v)
32gb | 32gb ram
multiple hdd+ssd | one ssd
---

Attached file from first pc, my steps after reinstall and open the vbox:
1. Create win10
2. Select space 13gb + 2gb ram
3. doCreate
4. Start virtual machine
5. It asks: "load drive?", then I selected win10_rom.iso
6. After it - guru crit err

Btw, I'm stuck with this error already on a machine that worked before without any errors. And I didn't do anything to the system(both) - So, I think it's windows updates because I keep the systems up to date.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(54.96 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Critical Error / Guru Mediation

Post by mpack »

Your disk layout doesn't make sense. You have a VM (i.e. data) installed in an executable files folder (C:\Program Files), which creates instant write permissions problems. Why did you do this?

Move the VM to a data area, e.g. a container folder in your own documents folder: see Howto: Move a VM.

Also Windows 10 will do better with a second CPU core.
b5414

Post by b5414 »

I have disabled uac and all useless security stuff

There is the new archive with 2 logs more, one from another drive, second - default vmbox path
Attachments
archive.zip
(111.88 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

In each log, a couple seconds after the CD-ROM starts to boot, there's this:
{timestamp} IEM: wrmsr(0xc0000080,0x0`00000d00) -> #GP(0)
Then the guru meditates on a triple fault, which is when Virtualbox throws up its hands and says "Something so weird happened, I haven't the foggiest idea how to proceed."

These IEM things show up in logs for working VMs, and they have something to do with the CPU capabilities. If I recall correctly, there is a bug with some AMD CPUs, forum guru fth0 knows more about the bug. It may or may not be what's happening here.

Clarify some things for us, please?
b5414 wrote:Attached file from first pc,
What 'file' is this?
b5414 wrote:Select space 13gb + 2gb ram
If "Select space 13gb" mean the size of the new VM's disk, then 13GB is not enough space for 10. My 10 installs take 16GB for the OS itself and no space left for other programs and data. 32GB should be minimum, 50GB reasonable.
b5414

Post by b5414 »

scottgus1 wrote:In each log, a couple seconds after the CD-ROM starts to boot, there's this:
{timestamp} IEM: wrmsr(0xc0000080,0x0`00000d00) -> #GP(0)
Then the guru meditates on a triple fault, which is when Virtualbox throws up its hands and says "Something so weird happened, I haven't the foggiest idea how to proceed."

These IEM things show up in logs for working VMs, and they have something to do with the CPU capabilities. If I recall correctly, there is a bug with some AMD CPUs, forum guru fth0 knows more about the bug. It may or may not be what's happening here.
And I will note again that I did not touch anything(especially on the x570 system, I set up the vm, threw it on 2nd comp, and that's all), it worked for me before (~10 January)

---
scottgus1 wrote:Clarify some things for us, please?
b5414 wrote:Attached file from first pc,
What 'file' is this?

"VBoxAnotherDisk.log" fresh created vm from another drive, which is connected after windows was installed (without permissions and stuff)
"VBoxUserFolder.log" fresh created vm from the user catalog, c:/users/$my_user/$there (and I also tried documents folder)

---

scottgus1 wrote:
b5414 wrote:Select space 13gb + 2gb ram
If "Select space 13gb" mean the size of the new VM's disk, then 13GB is not enough space for 10. My 10 installs take 16GB for the OS itself and no space left for other programs and data. 32GB should be minimum, 50GB reasonable.
Yes, vm's disk; I just tried to specify 50gb, it did not solve the problem

---

btw, I'm using a shortened version of Windows 10, after installation - only 6.42 GB is taken and the image weight is only 1.2 GB (less than Linux, lol)

and I do not need programs, 1GB of free space would be enough for me (can you suggest something smart; linuxes behaves too strange on vm)

---

update:

I can run linux mint, just tested, BUT can't start any .iso with windows 10 (even "Microsoft Windows 10 version 21H2 build 19044.1466", original MS iso)

so, ticket should be retitled to "Issue with windows iso files" or some, probably

and before this issue, the stripped_down/lite win10 iso file worked without any problems

---

btw, I'm open for a call and/or teamviewer_connection of you want :)

---

update2: I just tried Fully original iso from the MS windows 10 installing tool... Did not work out
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

b5414

Post by b5414 »

What a joke, thank you;

---

To solve: You have to enable NX/XD option in bios > cpu settings

---

I think you need to make some kind of notification for this :)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

And I have that in my log scanner, too! How'd I miss that?!

Good eye, fth0!
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Thinking about it, I don't understand why Windows 10 (64-bit) is capable of running on the host, because it also requires NX/XD ...