Is anyone else having problems with VB v6.1.32 booting up 64-bit Windows in 64-bit W10?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ant
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows and macOSes

Is anyone else having problems with VB v6.1.32 booting up 64-bit Windows in 64-bit W10?

Post by ant »

Earlier this late morning, I upgraded my VirtualBox from v6.1.30 to v6.1.32 in my updated 64-bit W10 Pro (21H2). My updated guest 64-bit Windows (7 HPE SP1 & 10 Pro) VMs were very slow with their graphical starting ups, auto-logins (single user account and no password), and desktop. They're unusable. In 64-bit W7 VM, its task manager didn't show any high CPU processes when idled. Virtual drive usage was not intense. I tried to upgrade the guests additions, but it took too long to install so I gave up. I noticed my host PC's W10's task manager shows VirtualBoxVM.exe always with its very high CPU usage. I even rebooted my host PC to see if it fixes it, but nope. I even tried manual safe mode in W7. :(

Is anyone else having this problem too or just me? I was unable to reproduce this in an old 2012 13" Intel MacBook Pro though. I assume it is related to my host PC's W10's Hypervisor or something again like a few versions ago? :( I attached a 7z file with my logs and screen (shot/capture)s from both VMs.
VB6.1.32logsWith64WinIn64W10proPC.7z
(73.39 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/My ... rStuff.txt for my detailed primary computer's setup.

I might need to downgrade back to v6.1.30 soon. :( Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
Last edited by ant on 19. Jan 2022, 08:28, edited 5 times in total.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Is anyone else having problems with VB v6.1.32 booting up 64-bit Windows in 64-bit W10?

Post by BillG »

Windows 10 HyperVision?

No, I have not seen any change in performance of 64-bit guests with VirtualBox version 6.1.32 .
Bill
ant

Re: Is anyone else having problems with VB v6.1.32 booting up 64-bit Windows in 64-bit W10?

Post by ant »

BillG wrote:Windows 10 HyperVision?

No, I have not seen any change in performance of 64-bit guests with VirtualBox version 6.1.32 .
Oops. Hypervisor. Brain fart. Hmm, I wonder what's up with mine. :(
C_User_007

Post by C_User_007 »

I have hyper-v enabled (I need docker support and WSL2).
I was able to use VM's in turtle-mode in 6.1.30.
In 6.1.32 none of the virtual machine boot.

I am migrating my VDI's to VHDX's now as I need virtual machines but I need VM's that work.

It was a good run while it lasted.
ant

Post by ant »

C_User_007 wrote:I have hyper-v enabled (I need docker support and WSL2).

I am migrating my VDI's to VHDX's now as I need virtual machines but I need VM's that work.

What OSes (guests and hosts -- were all 64-bit?) are you using on your setups? Can you please kindly gather the logs and attach them in my forum thread so we can get details for the developers to analyze and fix?

I haven't downgraded back to v6.1.30 yet, but I might soon since I'll need to use my 64-bit VMs soon. :(
C_User_007

Post by C_User_007 »

ant wrote:

What OSes (guests and hosts -- were all 64-bit?) are you using on your setups? Can you please kindly gather the logs and attach them in my forum thread so we can get details for the developers to analyze and fix?

I haven't downgraded back to v6.1.30 yet, but I might soon since I'll need to use my 64-bit VMs soon. :(
I have Windows 11 as the host and the guests are Windows 10, Windows 11 and Ubuntu.
I have a Windows 10 32 bit guest and the rest are 64 bit machines.
The issue I faced was the same - freezing up on booting and then having to kill the running virtualbox instance.

Unfortunately, since I am working on a time-sensitive project I have not been able to set up the logging properly.
What I did do was to uninstall virtualbox 6.1.32 and reinstall 6.1.30 (removing the guest additions before uninstalling) and the guest systems work again.

I suspect that there might be a hiccup when hyper-v is enabled but I can only investigate once my project is complete, which won't be any time soon.

Reverting worked and the VM's now boot, so I would advise reverting if you need your VM's running while having hyper-v enabled. 6.1.30 works well for that scenario.

IF I get time I might reinstall 6.1.32 and set up logging but time is not my friend right now.

Good luck!
ant

Post by ant »

C_User_007 wrote:
ant wrote:

I have Windows 11 as the host and the guests are Windows 10, Windows 11 and Ubuntu.
I have a Windows 10 32 bit guest and the rest are 64 bit machines.
The issue I faced was the same - freezing up on booting and then having to kill the running virtualbox instance.

Unfortunately, since I am working on a time-sensitive project I have not been able to set up the logging properly.
What I did do was to uninstall virtualbox 6.1.32 and reinstall 6.1.30 (removing the guest additions before uninstalling) and the guest systems work again.

I suspect that there might be a hiccup when hyper-v is enabled but I can only investigate once my project is complete, which won't be any time soon.

Reverting worked and the VM's now boot, so I would advise reverting if you need your VM's running while having hyper-v enabled. 6.1.30 works well for that scenario.

IF I get time I might reinstall 6.1.32 and set up logging but time is not my friend right now.

Good luck!
Ah, 32-bit Windows guest VM does it too for you. I forgot to mention that I don't have this problem with my old 32-bit Windows XP Pro. SP3, Windows 95, and FreeDOS v1.2.

I made a bug report about our issue in https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20777/.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Just a shot in the dark: Does the issue persist if you re-enable the time synchronization between host and guest?
ant

Post by ant »

fth0 wrote:Just a shot in the dark: Does the issue persist if you re-enable the time synchronization between host and guest?
Where do I set that since I'll need to reupgrade my VB again.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Use the command in 9.11.4. Disabling the Guest Additions Time Synchronization and omit the "1" at the end.
ant

Post by ant »

fth0 wrote:Use the command in 9.11.4. Disabling the Guest Additions Time Synchronization and omit the "1" at the end.
Thanks. I reupgraded VB and ran this in my cmd.exe: C:\winstuff\VirtualBox>VBoxManage setextradata "64bit W7 HPE SP1 (iTunes with apps)" "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" 1 and retested my 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 guest VM. Same results. :(
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

I do not have a guest W10 x64, but I have a W11 x64 guest and the following was my boot times:
VB 6.1.30 - 1:37 to get to the login screen
VB 6.1.32 - Gave up at 4 minutes with the VirtualBox logo on the screen with the spinning circles not moving.

BTW Just posted (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=105008) a problem with Linux Mint being slow and buggy with 6.1.32, but working okay on 6.1.30
ant

Post by ant »

AndyCot wrote:I do not have a guest W10 x64, but I have a W11 x64 guest and the following was my boot times:
VB 6.1.30 - 1:37 to get to the login screen
VB 6.1.32 - Gave up at 4 minutes with the VirtualBox logo on the screen with the spinning circles not moving.

BTW Just posted (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=105008) a problem with Linux Mint being slow and buggy with 6.1.32, but working okay on 6.1.30
Yeah, my 64-bit Windows guest VMs are unusable in their desktops after very long boot ups. Please get its logs to share so developers can analyze, fix, and release! I had to downgrade back to .30. :(
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

ant wrote:I reupgraded VB and ran this in my cmd.exe: C:\winstuff\VirtualBox>VBoxManage setextradata "64bit W7 HPE SP1 (iTunes with apps)" "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" 1 and retested my 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 guest VM. Same results.
Just for completeness sake (it was just an attempt to rule out your not-widely-used setting): Did you omit the "1" like I wrote, or didn't you omit the "1" like you wrote? ;)
ant

Post by ant »

fth0 wrote:
ant wrote:I reupgraded VB and ran this in my cmd.exe: C:\winstuff\VirtualBox>VBoxManage setextradata "64bit W7 HPE SP1 (iTunes with apps)" "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled" 1 and retested my 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 guest VM. Same results.
Just for completeness sake (it was just an attempt to rule out your not-widely-used setting): Did you omit the "1" like I wrote, or didn't you omit the "1" like you wrote? ;)
Oops. I misread your post about omitting that "1"! I retried:

c:\winstuff\VirtualBox>VBoxManage setextradata "64bit W7 HPE SP1 (iTunes with apps)" "VBoxInternal/Devices/VMMDev/0/Config/GetHostTimeDisabled"

I noticed a few seconds pause after running it. I retested it and still got the same results. :(