Importing on Windows Not Showing in Application

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SawyerLiam

Importing on Windows Not Showing in Application

Post by SawyerLiam »

Hi,

I am importing 3 ova files using the command line interface as I need these 3 images on over 100 computers. I made a batch file to run all 3 lines. The script works in importing and creating the vmdk in the directory I specified but when I go to launch VirtualBox, there are no images in the application. However when I run the command line manually it shows up in the application. Any ideas or if I am missing something in my command?

Command:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" import "C:\VM\Kali\Kali.ova" --vsys 0 --unit 13 --disk "C:\VM\Kali\Kali-disk001.vmdk"
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" import "C:\VM\Ubuntu\Ubuntu.ova" --vsys 0 --unit 14 --disk "C:\VM\Ubuntu\Ubuntu-disk001.vmdk"
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" import "C:\VM\UbuntuServer\Ubuntu Server.ova" --vsys 0 --unit 14 --disk "C:\VM\UbuntuServer\Ubuntu Server-disk001.vmdk"
Thank you
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Importing on Windows Not Showing in Application

Post by mpack »

Can you explain what you mean by "no images in the application"? Do you mean that the VMs were present but they drive images were missing?

I have problems with your "--disk" directive too. First, I see no mention of it in the user manual, secondly I would expect VBoxManage to unpack any drives found in the OVA with no need for further commands.
SawyerLiam

Post by SawyerLiam »

Hi, by 'no images in the application,' I am referring to opening VirtualBox and nothing shows up even though the logs say that the ova was imported successfully. Also, the --disk directive tells VirtualBox where to store the .vmdk
Last edited by mpack on 15. Jan 2022, 10:24, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove verbatim quote - please quote selectively.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ok, I see. Your problem is a black screen on boot.

In that case we will need the VM log for one of these VMs. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

It would also be nice to have a screenshot of the contents of the VM folder immediately after you run the import command.