Ubuntu VM stuck on black screen with a white underscore, no apparent error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
chw68014

Ubuntu VM stuck on black screen with a white underscore, no apparent error

Post by chw68014 »

Hello, I am having the same problem. My host system runs Windows 10. It appears that Ubuntu 20.04 is booting fine for me through Virtual Box 6.1.30 but then it ends up with a black screen with a blinking white underscore. I've tried increasing the number of virtual processors from 1 to 2 and increasing the video memory to 128 MB with no success. I've attached the Vbox.log file. Please help! I need Ubuntu to complete grad school work. So close to graduating! haha Thank you for any help you can offer.

P.S. Ubuntu had been working for me with no issue for years. It is worth noting that this issue only appeared for me after the latest Windows 10 updates. Please let me know if you need more information.
Attachments
Ubuntu 20.04-2022-01-13-22-34-04.zip
(23.39 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Pic143

Re: Ubuntu VM stuck on black screen with a white underscore, no apparent error

Post by Pic143 »

Hi, i'm having the same issue. Ubuntu 20.04 worked fine since yesterday. Did you manage to solve the issue?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu VM stuck on black screen with a white underscore, no apparent error

Post by scottgus1 »

@chw68014, Sorry we missed your post! There doesn't look like anything wrong in the VM's 'hardware'.

Ubuntu is known to go to blackscreen if the disk fills up completely and the desktop environment can't start, even on real PCs. Deleting enough stuff from the disk will get the desktop running again. If you can log into the OS via command line then this is probably the problem and solution to the VM's problem.

@Pic143, thanks for bringing this one back up. Try the fix for chw68014's VM. If that doesn't work, please start a new topic with an attached log:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.