VirtualBox & Yubikey

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nlcarter

VirtualBox & Yubikey

Post by nlcarter »

Host is running VB 6.1.30 on Windows 10, 21H2
Client is running Windows 10, 21H1

I use my Yubikey with this VB multiple times per day, feeding to both a Cisco VPN client and to login to Remote Desktop clients after logging into the VPN. However, a new application requires a slightly different use of the Yubikey and it's not working, They had me download and run Yubikey Manager, v1.2.4. This doesn't see the Yubikey and wants it to be inserted into the USB port. I then go through the motions of adding a USB 'filter' to add the Yubikey to the VB. Still doesn't work. However, now the Yubikey will no longer work with the Cisco VPN client. I have to remove the 'filter' to get the VPN to work again.

Does anyone have steps required to get this to work at both levels? Everything I've read, so far, indicates this should work.

Thank you!

Neil
nlcarter

Re: VirtualBox & Yubikey

Post by nlcarter »

Update: I normally run my VMs with USB set to emulate USB2.0. With it set this way, the Yubikey works how one would expect it to work in Notepad and the Cisco VPN client. However, I cannot get Yubikey Manager to recognize it.

I switched to USB3.0 emulation. This allowed Yubikey Manager to find the device, but Notepad and Cisco VPN get a much shortened output from the Yubikey, and the Cisco VPN fails to connect with that.

Switch back to USB2.0 and we're back to where it started.

Note that the above is without any 'filters' set.

Thank you!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In addition to what scottgus1 wrote, please state explicitly if you're running the Cisco VPN, Notepad and the YubiKey Manager softwares in the guest or on the host.
nlcarter

Post by nlcarter »

scottgus1, I will do so today, hopefully, and get back to you

fth0, all are used on the client

Thank you, both!
nlcarter

Post by nlcarter »

Situation seems resolved. Step #7, item #1, of the USB basics and troubleshooting document, was the culprit. I had my Yubikey plugged into a USB hub, placed conveniently beside my keyboard. Once I moved it directly into the PC, all seems well.

Thank you!!