Failed to load R0 module, after updat from 6.1.26 to 6.1.30

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tobiasbe

Failed to load R0 module, after updat from 6.1.26 to 6.1.30

Post by tobiasbe »

Hello,
after the update from 6.1.26 to 6.1.30 (VirtualBox-6.1.26-145957-Win.exe, VirtualBox-6.1.30-148432-Win.exe) i get an error 'Failed to load R0 module' wher i start a VM, see below.
(With the Version 6.1.26 everything worked fin, Win10 and Ubuntu VMs started without problems; but not with Version 6.1.30)

Failed to load R0 module C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VMMR0.r0: SUP_IOCTL_LDR_OPEN failed (VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE).
Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE).
Fehlercode:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponente:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Host: Dell Latitude 5320

can someone please help me? thank you
greetings Tobias
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Failed to load R0 module, after updat from 6.1.26 to 6.1.30

Post by mpack »

You can search for previous answers to that error code (VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE). That allows you to discover that this question was answered already. E.g. viewtopic.php?t=104378.
tobiasbe

Post by tobiasbe »

thank you, but it does not work with saved (not shutdown) VMs.
i get an new error:
apic#0: Config mismatch - uApicMode: saved=2 config=3 [ver=5 pass=final] (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH).

Fehlercode: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponente: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

greetings Tobias
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH is a different error, caused by running a VM which uses a saved state created by the wrong version of VirtualBox (saved states are not portable between versions). Right click the VM and discard the saved state.
tobiasbe

Post by tobiasbe »

i have reset the state of the VM, with vboxmanage discardstate, the VM is running now again

it is very annoying that after an update the VMs do not start anymore
tobiasbe

Post by tobiasbe »

thank you for helping
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

tobiasbe wrote: it is very annoying that after an update the VMs do not start anymore
As I said, saved state files are not designed to be portable. The whole idea of a saved state (similar to hibernation) is that you can restart VMs quickly, provided nothing has changed that requires a full boot. In your case something did change - you replaced the VirtualBox host software.

If you can't remember to discard saved states before updating VirtualBox then I suggest that you stop using them entirely. IMO they aren't needed in modern PCs anyway - they were invented when slow mechanical hard drives were the norm.
science2002
Guest OSses: Win10, WinXP, Android

Post by science2002 »

Hi there,
sorry to ask to make the point as clear as possible since it seems important, above all for novice users.

I always have (as many others, I guess) several snapshots and a final "Current State (changed)" obtained with "Power off the machine" when closing the Guest OS (Win10 in my case), like this
- Snapshot 1
- - Snapshot 2
- - -Current State (changed)
  • 1) Is it correct that one should not update VB in this situation, since there is the risk to lose "Current State (changed)"?

2) Is it correct that before update the good practice is to turn the "Current State (changed)" in a) one further Snapshot, or b) include it in the previous Snapshot (in the example Snapshot 2)?

2.1) If this second answer is positive, what is the best way to do a) and b) in particular while one shuts down the Guest machine?
Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The above discussion concerns saved states, not snapshots.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I'll just add one thing: it is possible for a snapshot to contain a saved state:

If the VM was running when a snapshot is taken, then the snapshot's icon in the main Virtualbox window will show a green arrow. Snapshots that were taken while the VM was shut down will have a red/orange square.

Snapshots with the green arrow contain saved states. These snapshots will not start if the Virtualbox version is changed. The saved state must be discarded when that snapshot is loaded for the VM to start.

Snapshots with the red/orange square do not contain a saved state. These snapshots can survive a Virtualbox version change and will start on the new version, barring other issues.

The solution to avoid saved-state troubles with snapshots is to be sure you take snapshots only when the VM is shut down.

Answering your questions:
1. The Current State is not the problem. Current States without a saved state will survive a Virtualbox version change. Whether the VM was save-stated when turned off is the problem.

2. This is not necessary before a Virtualbox version change. Clearing off saved states is necessary before a Virtualbox version change.

3. Though the answer to 2 was negative, the best way to shut down a VM is to shut it down inside the VM OS, not to save-state it.