Virtualbox manager not rendering on win10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ejout

Virtualbox manager not rendering on win10

Post by ejout »

This morning when I launched Virtualbox (was 6.1.16, now installed the latest). The manager interface would not come up. After checking further while it does not show up on the desktop it does end up showng up as a background process in Taskmanager. If I then click to run it again I get a second "Virtualbox Manager" background process and so on I can add multiple but it never actually comes up.

Nothing in the event logs to help.

No recent update or install (other than uninstalling vb and reinstalling). I also tried reinstalling my graphics drivers and ran sfc /scannow and dism.
As I mentioned fully uninstalling virtualbox and reinstalling didn't fix it. Also tried pausing antivirus and launching but it was of no help.

Anyone ran into this?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox manager not rendering on win10

Post by scottgus1 »

It has happened before, and a couple cases have been run to earth by disconnecting all USB devices except the basic keyboard and mouse, then trying Virtualbox. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97261&p=506673#p506673

See what that does.
ejout

Post by ejout »

That was it!
When I have a joystick plugged in it doesn't run. But unplug it and it works.

Thanks for the help!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.

BTW, we would be curious to know if you have any trouble running VMs if you plug the joystick back in again after Virtualbox has been started.