VirtualBox VM shows 2 pcs of VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter, but there is only one...?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jmar83_the2nd

Re: VirtualBox VM shows 2 pcs of VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter, but there is only one...?

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

Do you think it's possible to implement some logic on VirtualBox side to bypass/workaround that M$ bugs?

Maybe it's possible i think...?
regards, jan
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox VM shows 2 pcs of VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter, but there is only one...?

Post by scottgus1 »

Anything's possible. But I wouldn't know how (unless Virtualbox were programmed in VBscript, that is :lol: ). There is no such filtering now. And since it's really a Windows bug, it may not be possible to filter on it.

Try suggesting the filter in your bug report. But don't lose sight of the web-search: I have a vague recollection this was cleared up by tweaking Windows in a previous forum topic.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

jmar83_the2nd wrote:OK - so now it has CLEARLY shown that VirtualBox ist NOT ABLE to handle that issue correctly
That isn't so clear to me.

VirtualBox gets a list of NICs from the host and eliminates those which the bridged driver hasn't been enabled for. It has no way of knowing which NICs are real and which are fictional until it actually tries to use one. It could for example be a USB NIC that isn't plugged in right now.

OTOH, failing to properly present the list given by the OS would be a bug. Intruding on OS domains (e.g. management of host OS device lists) would be a violation of good design practice.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

-> The thing is that i NEVER created a #2 host only adapter by myself / manually...
regards, jan
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

jmar83_the2nd wrote:i NEVER created a #2 host only adapter by myself / manually...
mpack wrote:This is normal behaviour on Windows. When you do an feature update it will copy all the NICs.
scottgus1 wrote:This "bug" is caused by Windows OS updating behavior, not by Virtualbox.
You didn't make the adapter, Windows did.
jmar83_the2nd

Post by jmar83_the2nd »

I would say VirtualBox should be able the same thing i've done in a machine-to-machine way - instead of mine - the human-to-machine way.

And yes, i believe that it is a Window$ issue - but, nevertheless, i would try to do that stuff if i'm a VirtualBox developer
regards, jan
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

jmar83_the2nd wrote:i would try to do that stuff if i'm a VirtualBox developer
They were hiring some short time ago. And user-contributed code is considered for inclusion.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

jmar83_the2nd wrote:I would say VirtualBox should be able the same thing i've done in a machine-to-machine way - instead of mine - the human-to-machine way.
I don't understand how you think that could ever be possible. You know what devices on your system really exist, VirtualBox does not. VirtualBox only knows what the host OS reports.