Add second domain controller

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pako152

Add second domain controller

Post by pako152 »

Hello Team,

I have setup two Windows machines with VirtualBox.
The first one has server 2019 desktop experience and has the main domain controller + DNS role.
The second one has core server 2016 .
I want to add the server 2016 as second domain controller. For my VMs I used internal network option as network settings.
windows 2019
ip : 169.254.35.20
mask:255.255.0.0
Dns:169.254.35.20
Windows 2016
ip:169.254.9.200
mask:255.255.0.0
dns:169.254.35.20.

I have added the second machine to the first machine domain (papagalos.ll) and I try to add the server 2016 to server pool in the server manager and I take the below errors.
1.The metadata failed to retrieve from the server due to the following error:the Winrm client cannot process the request the server name cannot be resolved.
2.refresh failed with the following error: The RPC server is unavailable.

I can ping from one vm to another. With nslookup the computer name (2016 server) was resolved with the correct IP.
the Winrm is enable from both machines and the port 135 with test-netconnection is up for RPC.

please your help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Add second domain controller

Post by scottgus1 »

pako152 wrote:I can ping from one vm to another.
This is good. If the VMs can ping each other then the Virtualbox network is working, and any further connection troubles are a configuration problem in the OS's, not in Virtualbox. Look at how the domain controllers are set up.
pako152 wrote:ip : 169.254.35.20
169.254.x.y addresses are APIPA addresses. This means the OS's are set for dynamic IP addresses and are looking for a DHCP server on the network, but one cannot be found, so each OS negotiates with all other OS's on the network to set a unique APIPA address for itself.

I have not done much with Windows domain controllers, but I do remember in my experiment (see Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: "Sandbox", the part about Double-NAT Firewall, under "Domain controller VM Windows Server 2008 r2") that one domain controller has to have a static private IP address, and it has to be the DHCP server for the network.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I agree. If any of the vms have APIPA addresses, you do not have the right environment for a Windows domain.

Give the first DC a static IP in its own private subnet and configure its DHCP server to hand out IP addresses in that subnet. All devices in the domain should get their network config from this DHCP server. Then try to join the core server to the domain.
Bill
pako152

Post by pako152 »

Hello all,

Thank you scottgus1 for your detailed answer and thank you BillG for your clarification.
With static IPS it works properly. :D