BSOD Occurs When Mounting USB Drive To Guest OS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jack Sparrow

BSOD Occurs When Mounting USB Drive To Guest OS

Post by Jack Sparrow »

As the title of the forum post has already stated, I get a repeatable, consistant BSOD whenever I try to mount a USB drive to my guest OS. Here are the USB settings for my Guest OS:

Here is the specific action that causes the BSOD:

Currently, to get around this issue, I'm (doing what I probably should have been doing all along and) using DropBox as my intermidiary for file transfer between my Host OS and my Guest OS. Some more info which may be helpful:

Host OS: Windows 10 Pro (x64 bit)
Host Motherboard: Asus H370M-Plus/CSM Intel H370 based chipset
Host Processor: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU (six cores - three used for the Host, and three for the Guest)
Host RAM: 64 GB (with 16GB for the Guest)

Hope that helps. Can also provide the BSOD dump file if necessary.

=======================================================================EDIT===========================================================================================

All right! My account limitations are lifted, and I can now add the screenshots I was talking about! :D
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: BSOD Occurs When Mounting USB Drive To Guest OS

Post by mpack »

As you can see, IMG tags are not allowed by the forum. Upload screenshots as attachments.

Better yet, a log is usually far more useful than screenshots of parts of the UI we already know quite well (I'm not in fact sure what your images are supposed to demonstrate to me). Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Jack Sparrow

Post by Jack Sparrow »

mpack wrote:As you can see, IMG tags are not allowed by the forum. Upload screenshots as attachments.

Better yet, a log is usually far more useful than screenshots of parts of the UI we already know quite well (I'm not in fact sure what your images are supposed to demonstrate to me). Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Thank you for your reply! Attached is the requested log file. Hopefully, it still cotains some relevant information as I've been using my VM every day since the incident. Also, I've sent my BSOD dump off to Bitdefender as BSOD analysis is a service they offer to subscribers. I'll post back what they find. Thanks again for the reply. :)
Attachments
PureOS-2022-01-07-23-19-10.zip
(42.07 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Could you please clarify where this "BSOD" occurs? I took you to mean that it BSODs on the host (since BSOD is a Windows term), aborting the VM - however the log shows the VM running to termination with no apparant problem.

Question 2: what is drive D? That is not the USB drive in question is it?

Question 3: I note that the VM is located in folder "VMware Host Files". Does that mean that this VM was created in VMWare?
Jack Sparrow

Post by Jack Sparrow »

mpack wrote:Could you please clarify where this "BSOD" occurs? I took you to mean that it BSODs on the host (since BSOD is a Windows term), aborting the VM - however the log shows the VM running to termination with no apparant problem.

Question 2: what is drive D? That is not the USB drive in question is it?

Question 3: I note that the VM is located in folder "VMware Host Files". Does that mean that this VM was created in VMWare?
Question 1: The BSOD does occur in the Windows host. I haven't triggered it since it happened back when I first posted this thread (because I hate triggering BSODs), but if I must do so to help solve this issue, then it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make :wink: .

Question 2: Drive D: is exactly what it sounds like: it's the secondary hard drive on my dual drive setup (C:/D: system/storage). The USB drive is drive H:

Question 3: When I first got into virtualization many years ago, I did indeed start off with a full fledged copy of VMware Workstation. After several years of using that, I decided to switch to VirtualBox due to having waaaay to many issues/bugs/functionality problems with Workstation. Despite the fact that I don't use VMware Workstation anymore, all of the filepaths and whatnot still reference it. :lol: I would also like to note that this Linux Guest was fully created using VirtualBox (in case you're wondering if it was created with Workstation, and if that might be what's causing the problem).
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

To solve the BSOD we need info about the BSOD, e.g. a screenshot of the BSOD message.