Fatal error on Civil 3D installation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Micad
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: MS Windows 7

Fatal error on Civil 3D installation

Post by Micad »

Dear Forum Members,

This is a first post on the forum so please excuse me for any errors. I have created a new VM and installed Windows 7 Ultimate with all the Windows Updates installed. It works 100% but the problem I have is that I cannot install my Autodesk Civil 3D 2010 package. I get a fatal error and the installation fails. Weirdly I have done the installation a few times in the past on virtual machines on different computers. The only difference is that the Windows 7 Ultimate OS is now 64 bit. The CAD software is compatible with both 32 and 64 bit so it should not be an issue. I just need to change my VM to a 64 bit because I need more memory for CAD. I am using VirtualBox 6.1.30 with Guest Additions installed. Because of size I could not attach the whole failed installation log file but in my attachment are a few lines that stood out to me about failing to open VBoxSvr\E_Drive files which are on my shared DVD drive from where I run the setup file. Your help will be appreciated.
Attachments
Log.txt
Install log
(4.65 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Fatal error on Civil 3D installation

Post by mpack »

Micad wrote:Because of size I could not attach the whole failed installation log
Logs usually fit just fine when you zip them.

The excerpt you posted seems to show certificate verification problems. There is a known problem on Windows 7 that it may not support the latest certificates, especially if the Win7 install is not fully updated.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... a4cde8e64f
Micad

Post by Micad »

Dear mpack,

Thank you for your reply. I went through the article and found that I have all the required Windows Updates installed. I quickly created a new VM with Windows 7 Ultimate and installed just the SP1 and the other two updates (KB4490628 & KB4474419) as required in the article but still no success. I also turned off Firewall and UAC.
Micad

Post by Micad »

Dear mpack,

I have added my host DVD drive under the Storage Devices and that allowed me to start the installation of the software. It looks like the installation files are now visible. The problem that I have now is that there are 3 installation dvd's. Disk 1 works fine but when the process asks me for disk 2 and I change the disks VB does not see it. I click on OK after changing it but nothing happens. I have no idea why I cannot change the disks. I have tested the installation on my host desktop running the same operating system (Windows 7 Ultimate) and it installs without any issues.