VBox Manager scrollbar

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
timtimtim
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows7

VBox Manager scrollbar

Post by timtimtim »

I've recently switched to version 6.1.26 from 5.0.14 which means scrolling through VMs is now awkward, as I have to hover for the scrollbar to appear, rather than it always being there. Is there a way to restore the old scrollbar behaviour, please? I'm running Windows 7 as the host.
VBox : 7.0.10
Host: Manjaro Linux
Guest : Windows 7
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VBox Manager scrollbar

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't think this is possible. When 6.0.x came out the devs went to the more 2D tile look with the disappearing scrollbars that is evident in many Windows 8/10 interface choices.

There's a couple tweaks in the newer interface I don't like either, but there's no way to change it for average users like me, who gloss over like deer in headlights when C appears on the screen. You'd need to edit the source code and rebuild.

FWIW the mouse scroll wheel or the trackpad scroll gesture move the list too.

One more thing to note: 6.1.x is no longer supported on Windows 7 hosts. Not to say it won't work, but bugs and glitches arising from running Virtualbox on Windows 7 computers will not be fixed. Windows 7 VMs are still supported.
timtimtim
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: windows7

Re: VBox Manager scrollbar

Post by timtimtim »

OK, thanks for the heads up on using a Win7 host. I'm slowly moving over to Manjaro Linux for host machines as after Win7, the MS OSes just seemed to suck more and more with each release.

I've also bypassed the flat-look VBox GUI by using vboxmanage startvm, with shortcuts to each VM's batch file in an old-school (but convenient) tree & list GUI.
VBox : 7.0.10
Host: Manjaro Linux
Guest : Windows 7