Which version of VirtualBox for Windows XP.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Which version of VirtualBox for Windows XP.

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, this step "05" probably prevents Windows XP from needing the appropriate Oracle certificate (chain).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm not certain about this, but I believe that was always the case, and that strong certificate checking for kernel level drivers by the OS wasn't a thing until 64bit Windows.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I'm also not certain. You can read some basic information in 4.2.1.3 Unattended Installation [of the VirtualBox Guest Additions], which states that importing the Oracle certificates doesn't suffice in Windows XP guests. The general idea is that manually importing the Oracle certificates has a similar effect as accepting Windows dialogs asking if you trust the manufacturer of the software you're trying to install. It's totally possible that the VirtualBox User Manual is not entirely correct and that you're right that it isn't valid for the VirtualBox Guest Additions Windows XP kernel drivers.
ermete74

Post by ermete74 »

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 Ver 5.1.2600.2180
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Same as mine, except my XP Pro VMs have been updated to SP3. The latter is definitely worth doing, because this is precisely the kind of thing SP3 would contain fixes for.
ermete74

Post by ermete74 »

mpack wrote:Same as mine, except my XP Pro VMs have been updated to SP3. The latter is definitely worth doing, because this is precisely the kind of thing SP3 would contain fixes for.
I retried the procedure that I indicated above, after the new version of VirtualBox-6.1.32-149290-Win and Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.32.
on:
Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit;
Windows XP Pro SP2 32-bit;
Windows XP Home SP3 32-bit
It does not work anymore.
I found a solution but it doesn't make sense to use it.
Please, you can try to do a fresh installation with your version of Windows XP Pro SP 32-bit using VirtualBox-6.1.32-149290-Win, Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.32. and verify?
Thank you.
jorgensen
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Try to install GA in XP safe mode.
ermete74

Post by ermete74 »

jorgensen wrote:Try to install GA in XP safe mode.
It works.
Why in Safe Mode can I install it?
One question, no one is using Windows XP as a Guest PC or can try a fresh install of Windows XP, using VirtualBox version 6.1.32 and check if it gives the same error?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I installed a fresh XP sp3 volume license OS in a 6.1.32 VM and Guest Additions installed successfully.
ermete74

Post by ermete74 »

So is it my problem related to the operating system or hardware of my PC?
In your opinion, what could be due to this error and why does it disappear using safe mode?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Some users are reporting problems installing 6.1.32 Guest Additions on XP, some are saying they install OK. We're not sure where the problem is yet.

If you go to https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ you can get an earlier version of the Guest Additions ISO from 6.1.x. Chances are there aren't any new features that would affect XP, so an earlier Guest Additions would be compatible with up-to-date Virtualbox.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote:We're not sure where the problem is yet.
My money is on SP3. All my XP VMs were updated to SP3 shortly after creation, years ago. As I said above, ISTR digital certification is one of the features improved by SP3.

SP3 appeared long after XP stopped being sold, so there was never an official XP-SP3 (retail) installer CD. So my guess is that these users are installing from an SP2 ISO, which is fine, but it then needs to be followed with the SP3 service pack.
ermete74

Post by ermete74 »

scottgus1 wrote:Some users are reporting problems installing 6.1.32 Guest Additions on XP, some are saying they install OK. We're not sure where the problem is yet.

If you go to https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/ you can get an earlier version of the Guest Additions ISO from 6.1.x. Chances are there aren't any new features that would affect XP, so an earlier Guest Additions would be compatible with up-to-date Virtualbox.
I also tested the previous version of VirtualBox, that also gave me the same error.
Could you please tell me how you install the Windows XP Guest PC and what options do you use?
I want to test this latest test, thanks.
ermete74

Post by ermete74 »

mpack wrote:
scottgus1 wrote:We're not sure where the problem is yet.
My money is on SP3. All my XP VMs were updated to SP3 shortly after creation, years ago. As I said above, ISTR digital certification is one of the features improved by SP3.

SP3 appeared long after XP stopped being sold, so there was never an official XP-SP3 (retail) installer CD. So my guess is that these users are installing from an SP2 ISO, which is fine, but it then needs to be followed with the SP3 service pack.
As written above I have tested different versions of Windows XP, both SP2 and SP3, I always got the same error.
Please also ask you, can you tell me how you install Windows XP Guest PCs and what settings do you use?
Thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

ermete74 wrote: Please also ask you, can you tell me how you install Windows XP Guest PCs and what settings do you use?
I do nothing special: I select the XP template, select the RAM and disk size I want, and that's that. In any case I can't think of any VirtualBox setting that would be relevant to the question of whether executable certificates matter. The latter is a software matter, while VirtualBox settings all have to do with what hardware is emulated.

My XP installer is for XP Pro SP2, so the next thing I do is install Service Pack 3.