Convert disk from IDE to SCSI?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
daytonabg

Convert disk from IDE to SCSI?

Post by daytonabg »

I'm trying to deploy my Oracle VirtualBox virtual machine into an VMWare ESXi server but it appears that the disk needs to be SCSI (LsiLogic for example).

I get a blue screen when both:
1. On ESXi, when I try to deploy it as it is (PIIX4);
2. On VirtualBox, when I try to change it from PIIX4 to LsiLogic;

This is my current VirtualBox setting:
i.ibb.co/MnDHTcN/screenshot.png
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Convert disk from IDE to SCSI?

Post by scottgus1 »

Images should be cropped and resized to get under the forum's 128kB size limit yet remain readable, then posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. This is possible from first day first post.

Some OS's don't like switching the boot disk's controller. On the working Virtualbox VM, please provide a vbox.log:

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you get logged into the desktop, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

And lest we chase an "XY problem", why do you believe that ESXi cannot take an IDE controller?
daytonabg

Post by daytonabg »

Thank you so much for the fast reply! I forgot to mention that the OS is Windows Server 2003. Well, first I tried to add it to VMWare Workstation and it gives me BusLogic/LSI Logic/LSI Logic SAS options only, then it was the same on ESXi. I'm using StarWind V2V Converter to convert it from vhd to vmdk. I'm attaching the log file.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(25.63 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, I remember reading a post once about switching XP to a SATA drive and the glitches that can come up. Server 2003 is XP on steroids, so the situation should be the same.

For principles to consider: please see How to migrate existing Windows installations to VirtualBox

XP doesn't like changing disk controllers on the boot drive; 2003 probably doesn't either. The MergeIDE registry file is supposed to loosen XP's strictness over the change of drive controller, it'll probably work for 2003 also.

Additionally, the OS may not recognized the LSI controller without being able to boot first.

I'd try this:
Make a verified backup of the whole VM folder and drive file, just in case things go pear-shaped a bit.
Leave the VM's drive file on the IDE controller for now.
Add a second drive file to the existing VM, with the second drive on the LSI controller.
Boot the VM, get it to recognize the new LSI controller and see if Disk Management can see the new drive.
Try to make a new file on the LSI drive, just to confirm it's working.
Run the MergeIDE registry file.
Shut down the VM.
Disconnect the second drive from the LSI controller and put the VM's boot drive on the controller.
See if the VM boots up OK.
daytonabg

Post by daytonabg »

Got it! I'll try it now and if it doesn't work I'll try making a backup with Acronics and create a new VM directly on Workstation, hopefully it would be compliant with the ESXi. Thank you so much for the help!
daytonabg

Post by daytonabg »

Worked like a charm! I added a LSI controller, booted the OS, it found the driver, shutted it down, removed the newly added LSI controller and changed the original IDE to LSI. Now I don't get a blue screen and it's running on LSI. Thanks again!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Awesome! Glad it worked!

Did you have to run MergeIDE?
daytonabg

Post by daytonabg »

No, actually, I forgot to do it. I just converted it again to vmdk and this time it worked on VMWare! :)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Interesting. I wonder if 2003 was less strict than XP.

Glad you're up and running!