Cannot get Virtual Guest to install

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DRIESMUL
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Linux, Centos8

Cannot get Virtual Guest to install

Post by DRIESMUL »

I have installed Virtual Box 6.1.30 on my Windows 10 system and I am trying to install Centos 8.3.
In the past I have installed SLES12 without any problem, but now I can't get VBOX to boot the new Centos guest from the correct ISO file.
When I try to startup the Centos83 session (which in fact is the booting of the guest from the ISO file) I can't tell Vbox to boot from which virtual drive.

The Centos ISO file CentOS-8.3.2011-x86_64-dvd1.iso is mounted (w. PowerIso) as drive Z: but there is no way, I can tell Centos83 to boot from Z:

When it boots, I can press F12 to select the boot device, and select '1' for the hard-disk, I get the message:

FATAL: No Bootable medium found ! Systtem Halted.

I do not remember, to have similar problems, when installing SLES12 as guest, 6 months ago.
Please tell me what to do. Any hint, will be greatly appreciated.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot get Virtual Guest to install

Post by scottgus1 »

DRIESMUL wrote:The Centos ISO file CentOS-8.3.2011-x86_64-dvd1.iso is mounted (w. PowerIso) as drive Z:
You don't need to mount the ISO on the host OS. Just pick the ISO in the VM's Storage settings, click the Optical Drive, Choose Disk Image:

DRIESMUL
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Linux, Centos8

Post by DRIESMUL »

Dear Scottgus,

Thanks a lot for your clear answer. This did it and now it installs from the ISO file.

However, I got stuck at the 1st Centos installation screen
I can't get past the 1st CentOs install screen that asks for the language and keyboard setting.
There is a CONTINUE button but that one doesn't work.[img]d:\am\downloads\VB_ERROR.JPG[/img]
The only thing that pops up at almost every keystroke is this Mouse Capture Warning.

How can I really continue.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Images should be cropped and resized to get under the forum's 128kB size limit yet remain readable, then posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. The IMG tag only works for previously-uploaded images and does not work for files that are still stored on your PC.