Virtualbox crashed host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Skely

Virtualbox crashed host

Post by Skely »

VirtualBox seem to crash my machine, machine went unexpected shutdown and all virtualbox vms went offline, does anyone have an idea?
Attachments
crash report.txt
(4.66 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox crashed host

Post by scottgus1 »

The Windows 10 version is rather old, 1607, and the crash report does not mention Virtualbox. The crashing module, if I read the report correctly, is 'MBAMService.exe', which is MalwareBytes, I think. 'NETIO.SYS' had something to do with it, too.

I'm not sure what else to do, but if this crash only occurs while Virtualbox is running, I'd suppose that Virtualbox's activities are triggering an incompatibility between Windows and somethin else, maybe Malwarebytes. Try removing Malwarebytes and see if the host continues to crash.

Also, what version of Virtualbox were you running?
Skely

Post by Skely »

No, my machine is Windows Server 2016, I'm reading this crash file from my main PC.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If "pool request" refers to memory pools, then this may indicate a lack of RAM in the host. Without a log we can only speculate.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

And please clarify your use of the word "machine". Both the host PC and the VM or Guest are "machines", and we can't tell which you are referring to.

The posted BSOD crash log says:
Windows 10 Kernel Version 14393
Which Google et al says is 10 v1607, not Server 2016.

I gather this log was from a host PC crash, due to this from you:
Skely wrote:VirtualBox seem to crash my machine, machine went unexpected shutdown and all virtualbox vms went offline
There is another way to read this:
A VM crashed, and all the other VMs died too.

So please clarify if you are referring to a host PC BSOD or a VM BSOD.

And, like Mpack says, provide a VM log: Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.