Error Installing Extension Pack XP guest Win10 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
K1JOS

Error Installing Extension Pack XP guest Win10 Host

Post by K1JOS »

My system is a dual Xeon HP Workstation and I run a XP Vurtualbox for some olderder software. I need USB 2.0 support and the current version of VirtualBox in my Win XP box only shows me USB 1.1

I tried to install the Extension pack but get the following error:
Failed to install the Extension Pack D:/Installs/Oracle VirtualBox/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.30.vbox-extpack.
Signature #2/2: Not valid kernel code signature.: \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack\win.amd64\VBoxPuelMain.dll.
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface: IExtPackManager {70401eef-c8e9-466b-9660-45cb3e9979e4}
Any help appreciated
Jerry
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Error Installing Extension Pack XP guest Win10 Host

Post by mpack »

The extension pack is a plugin for a specific release of VirtualBox, so extpack and VirtualBox versions must match.

You have said nothing about VirtualBox version.
K1JOS

Post by K1JOS »

Sorry, I assumed incorrectly that the most current version of each were matched.

I just upgraded VB to 6.1.18r142142(Qt5.6.2).

The Extension pack says 6.1.30r148432.

Which is the last version where both work together?

Thanks
Jerry
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The versions must match. The 6.1.30 extension pack is for use with VirtualBox 6.1.30. VirtualBox 6.1.18 requires the 6.1.18 extension pack.
K1JOS

Post by K1JOS »

Thank you !!
K1JOS

Post by K1JOS »

Well, still have problem. After installing extension pack matched to my VB version I see option to use either USB 2.0 or 3.0 for my XP box. Selecting USB 2.0 I get the usual install driver popup but it doesnt find the correct driver in my Win XP Pro (SP2) disk image. I recall that different PC manufacturers had different USB drivers for XP. Is there a specific XP USB 2.0 driver I need to install?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't know if SP2 had USB 2 drivers (would think it did, but I'm not sure). However, the best way forward is to follow USB basics and troubleshooting and put USB 3 in the XP VM.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Yes, XP definitely has native support for the EHCI (USB2) controller simulated by VirtualBox. XP does NOT have native support for xHCI(USB3). I'm surprised that there was any "driver popup" just for enabling a natively supported controller, but that said - the normal time to enable the controller is before you install the OS, so maybe that's why I don't see this.

However, support for the controller does not mean that every USB device is supported. Some devices will require drivers, others not. You can expect devices which were common in 2002 to be natively supported by XP, so mass storage, mouse and keyboard should be ok.

The ease with which XP handles USB mass storage was the main reason why I abandoned Win98 and joined the XP family.

If the device appears in the XP Device Manager, even as an "Unknown", then VirtualBox has done its job. If it doesn't appear there then the FAQ instructions for creating a device filter have not been followed.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

And incidentally, USB redirection also requires driver support in the host OS. When you installed VirtualBox you may have noticed that USB virtualization support was optional. You need to have allowed that installation, and have had sufficient admin rights to install kernel mode drivers. Otherwise every feature that requires host drivers, i.e. USB, host-only networking and bridged networking - will fail.