M.2 Google Coral TPU in VB ?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jeremypsl

M.2 Google Coral TPU in VB ?

Post by jeremypsl »

Hello

I was wondering if it is possible to passtrough a M.2 Google Coral TPU card in VB ?
I would like to use it in a Home Assistant/Frigate VM for video surveillance analysis.
I passtough a z-wave usb key without any problem but i don't know where to look for M.2 devices.

Thanks !
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: M.2 Google Coral TPU in VB ?

Post by mpack »

In general: Virtual Machines don't use any physical hardware except the CPU.

VirtualBox v7 will I believe have the ability to pass host TPU info to the VM, but we don't have a date for v7 yet (*) and I don't know what the limitations will be when it appears.

(*) There are v7 development snapshost available that you can try now. Bear in mind that these have not been tested at all, so if you need your VMs to keep working you should probably just wait.
jeremypsl

Post by jeremypsl »

Ok thank you for the information.
I will test that.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:VirtualBox v7 will I believe have the ability to pass host TPU info to the VM
Are you perhaps confusing TPU (Tensor Processing Unit) with TPM (Trusted Platform Module) here?
jeremypsl wrote:I was wondering if it is possible to passtrough a M.2 Google Coral TPU card in VB ?
I don't think so, because there is no PCI* passthrough available. But I could imagine that it is possible to passthrough USB devices with TPUs into VirtualBox VMs.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

fth0 wrote:
mpack wrote:VirtualBox v7 will I believe have the ability to pass host TPU info to the VM
Are you perhaps confusing TPU (Tensor Processing Unit) with TPM (Trusted Platform Module) here?
I am indeed. Ok, only the first sentence of my previous post applies.