Cannot run Guest Additions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Ferriska

Cannot run Guest Additions

Post by Ferriska »

[My apologies if this isn't the correct topic. I'm new here. I did find a post about this specific problem but no answer was given because it was immediately shut down because it was a crosspost.]
So basically, I'm running Windows Vista Business VM. My host is Windows 10, if that somehow helps.
I was watching a tutorial on how to enable Aero, and I'm almost there but I hit a roadblock. Whenever I try to run Guest Additions, this happens. I can't attach pictures because I'm new and I signed up pretty much just to ask this question, but it says this when I click on the Guest Additions drive button.
"D:\
Application not found."
Anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks,
Ferriska
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot run Guest Additions

Post by scottgus1 »

Vista probably does not have SHA256 security certificate hashing. You'll need to find the Server 2008 r1 (not r2) SHA256 update and run it in Vista.

Also, you'll have to run Virtualbox 6.0.something on your computer, since Vista and lower don't have 3D acceleration in 6.1.
Ferriska

Post by Ferriska »

scottgus1 wrote:Vista probably does not have SHA256 security certificate hashing. You'll need to find the Server 2008 r1 (not r2) SHA256 update and run it in Vista.

Also, you'll have to run Virtualbox 6.0.something on your computer, since Vista and lower don't have 3D acceleration in 6.1.
How would I find and install the update?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Ferriska wrote:How would I find ... the update?
Web-search it, I'd reckon. It's provided by Microsoft, not Virtualbox.
Ferriska wrote:How would I ... install the update?
Use a real host-provided shared folder over a Bridged or Host-Only network to pass the installer into the VM, or make an ISO with the installer in it, or Virtualbox's VISO, to put the installer in the VM's CD drive.