VBOXSVR credentials ?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
madbrain
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: CentOS OS/2

VBOXSVR credentials ?

Post by madbrain »

Not certain if this should be in the Windows Hosts or Windows guest section. I'm using Windows 21H2 on both host and guest.
I have shared a folder from the host with the guest. I assigned a drive letter, and there is no problem when using explorer or most programs.

However, I installed a backup program, Acronis True Image, which runs a backup service as a different user. I'm not able to access the shared folder drive letter. I get prompted to enter a username and password for \\vboxsvr\StorageSpaces_backup (StorageSpaces_backup is the name of the shared folder). What are the credentials I am supposed to enter to allow True Image to access this shared folder ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VBOXSVR credentials ?

Post by scottgus1 »

I believe this is a Windows thing. Shared folders via drive letter (and perhaps shared folders in general) have to be user/password authenticated for each user.

Virtualbox Shared Folders don't have passwords, but the different user thing may be tripping up over Windows' password requirements.

Can you have Acronis access the shared folder via \\vboxsvr\StorageSpaces_backup instead of drive letter? or remove the drive letter as a test? or try a real shared folder from the host OS through Bridged or Host Only?
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

scottgus1 wrote:Can you have Acronis access the shared folder via \\vboxsvr\StorageSpaces_backup instead of drive letter? or remove the drive letter as a test?
No difference, I get asked for credentials also.
or try a real shared folder from the host OS through Bridged or Host Only?
You mean going over TCP/IP rather than IPC ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

madbrain wrote:TCP/IP rather than IPC
Got no idea about that. :D I'm referring to setting up a shared folder through your host OS's usual methods, then finding the shared folder in the VM through \\hostOS\sharedfolder instead of a Virtualbox shared Folder through Guest Additions.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

scottgus1 wrote:
madbrain wrote:TCP/IP rather than IPC
Got no idea about that. :D I'm referring to setting up a shared folder through your host OS's usual methods, then finding the shared folder in the VM through \\hostOS\sharedfolder instead of a Virtualbox shared Folder through Guest Additions.
Yes, mounting drives between machines in done over IP - what used to be called NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Or TCPBEUI. It does work.

It's much slower than through the Virtualbox shared folders IPC, though. About 50MB/s vs 300MB/s.
The host drive is 4400MB/s (yes, even on writes, it's a stripe of 8 SATA SSDs). Huge difference between 50MB and 4400MB/s ...
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

madbrain wrote:What are the credentials I am supposed to enter
I don't know, but did you try the credentials of both the host and the guest user?