My VM keeps freezing on me

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ClamShelldon

My VM keeps freezing on me

Post by ClamShelldon »

Recently, I've been having a problem with my daily browsing virtual machine.

After a long while, particularly after some intense online activity (whether it be downloading a lot of files or such),
my VM freezes on me so I have to force it to shut down and start over again.

I was having this issue with Virtualbox Version 6.1.28.
I just upgraded to 6.1.30 today but came across the same error as before.
I attached a screenshot of the error.

I am using KVM as my hypervisor with 8GB RAM and 8 processor cores.
Nested Paging is enabled along with PAE/NX and Nested VT-x/AMD-V.
Video memory is set at 128MB.

The distro I was using is MX Linux and my host OS is Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (Version 1904)
I never had this error before until about a week ago, which is why I figured it may be an issue with Virtualbox itself.

I'd be happy to provide any further information if needed.

Thank you.
Attachments
VM Error.jpg
VM Error.jpg (83.91 KiB) Viewed 32202 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: My VM keeps freezing on me

Post by scottgus1 »

ClamShelldon wrote:I am using KVM as my hypervisor
ClamShelldon wrote:my host OS is Windows 10
I didn't know Windows had a KVM hypervisor? For sure that will interfere with the Virtualbox hypervisor running your VM.

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

You did a lot to obfuscate your screenshot. If you feel the need to obfuscate your log, please say exactly every item you obfuscated, so we can know what data in the log is untrustworthy.
ClamShelldon

Post by ClamShelldon »

Well, the KVM option was available in the Windows version of Virtualbox so I presumed thats viable.
Why else would it be there?

As for the screenshot, I obscured any other apps I was running since they were more personal but
I highlighted the times with red rectangles to show how the VM has frozen.

Anyway, I saved and attached the logs here.
Attachments
logs.zip
(80.6 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

ClamShelldon wrote:the KVM option was available in the Windows version of Virtualbox
Ah, then by "hypervisor" you probably meant "paravirtualization interface". That's not a hypervisor. It's is a comm channel for virtualization-aware OS's to talk to whatever hypervisor is running them, so they can run more efficiently. KVM paravirtualization interface is appropriate for Linux VMs.

Did the freeze occur during either of these logs? They both boot from the CD-ROM, and they don't show freezes in the logs.
ClamShelldon

Post by ClamShelldon »

I just ran my VM again and just came across the same freezing error as before.
Here's a new log so hopefully it should show you what happened.
Attachments
Log 24.11.21.zip
(33.34 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The log is still not showing any freezes that I can recognize. How long into the run of the VM was the freeze?

Also, I see you're running from a LiveCD, not an installed OS, and the LiveCD is titled as a beta. If you run a regular Linux LiveCD Ubuntu, Mint, etc, does the freeze happen?.
ClamShelldon

Post by ClamShelldon »

Sorry but I didn't take note of how long until it froze. I guess about 15 minutes in when I was opening my web browser.
Usually it happens when I try to download a lot of files at once or download a crypto blockchain to my external HDD.

As for the iso, it's actually a respin of MX Linux I'm working on that's in the beta stage.
It's based on MX LInux 19.4 ahs.

I also like to add that I always copy my ISO and place the VM in my Ramdisk.
ClamShelldon

Post by ClamShelldon »

I just reproduced the error in question again and made a recording in a webm file.
You can download it right here from this Tresorit link.
https://send.tresorit.com/a#rTbHujuQfhZXQ2dBTOsOeA
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I've got the video file but haven't watched it yet. Will see what I can do about that shortly.

A more helpful upload (for diagnosing purposes) would be a VM log, started from full shutdown, with careful note of the wall clock times when the VM started and when it seized up. Please post the log and the times.

In addition to the log and clock times, since you're using an unusual setup ("remastered" OS, LiveCD, Ram drive, external hard drive), please try a standardized VM, so we can see if Virtualbox itself has the trouble. Make a new VM with a downloaded Ubuntu or Mint OS, stored on your regular non-RAM hard drive, and see if that one seizes up too.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A VM that freezes about 15 minutes in can often mean inappropriate power saving features enabled in the VM. Something to check (and disable).

But not before you install Debian properly (i.e. boot from hard disk).

Then you can also fix the presence of unofficial GAs.
ClamShelldon

Post by ClamShelldon »

Power saving features like what?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Probably the power features in the VM OS, like when to sleep, etc.
ClamShelldon

Post by ClamShelldon »

Okay, I'm setting up a brand new MX Linux VM from scratch.
I'll be sure to notify you if anything funny turns up.
GLocker

Post by GLocker »

I came here to second this. For the last few weeks 1.28 has been the bane of my existence. 1.30 is no better. Constant freezing of VM and the VB app. Win 8.1. Ive had these virtual machines installed for three years no changes. All of them freezing the last weeks. Last week I had a catastrophic data loss. The large file size still exists but internally it's been wiped clean. I chose not to come on here in attempt to look for a solution since I can just tell myself it's gone. Now VB was uninstalled and reinstalled and several new VM added and the problem continues. Time to move on to other options. I only stopped by to see if others had the same issue and confirm it is a systemic issue and not a one-off that it will be played off as. Speaking from experience.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

GLocker wrote:catastrophic data loss. The large file size still exists but internally it's been wiped clean.
I sympathize. That's really rough. Fortunately your data was backed up, so maybe only a little data will have to be re-created.

if a VM is important the Virtualbox version for that host does not have to be upgraded, and it can be downgraded if problems arise. Backups before upgrading anything on an important computer allow failed upgrades to be undone.
GLocker wrote:Time to move on to other options.
Other options will fail at times. Host OS's BSOD or kernel-panic. Any upgrade from any hypervisor or host OS may have a bug. Restorable backups are the way out of any such problems.

If there is a seize-up problem, we need a way to reproduce in a log of some sort for the devs to see on the Bugtracker. We haven't got there yet. Maybe your VM might have provided the clues.

Trapeze without a net is thrilling, until you slip...