Application error when starting the virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Squirrel96

Application error when starting the virtual machine

Post by Squirrel96 »

I recently installed Windows 8.1. Then I installed the latest version of VirtualBox. After starting the created virtual machine, when it is launched in the OS image file selection window, when selecting a file of any image, the error “VirtualBoxVM.exe - Application error. unknown software exception (0x80000003).
Tried version 5.2 - everything is fine. Previously, version 6.x worked without problems on Windows 7. What could be wrong? Disable Windows Defender, run as administrator - same error.
Attachments
snap.PNG
snap.PNG (8.89 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Application error when starting the virtual machine

Post by scottgus1 »

Squirrel96 wrote:Previously, version 6.x worked without problems on Windows 7
6.x is a little too vague. There were 6.0.x and 6.1.x. 6.0.x is compatible with Windows 7. 6.1.x is no longer supported on Windows 7 but may still work.

If I understand your use of "OS image" it appears that you are having trouble selecting an ISO file to install in the VM. This may have happened on Mac hosts when there was a problem with the "most recently used" list of ISO's in the Virtualbox config files.

Try opening the VM's storage settings, then click the Optical drive, then Choose Disk Image..., then browse to the desired ISO file.

Squirrel96

Post by Squirrel96 »

for example versions 6.1.4, 6.1.6 worked without problems on Windows 7. Installed 6.1.6 on Windows 8.1 - an error. What might be missing for work? 5.2 works fine.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Squirrel96 wrote:What might be missing for work?
Does this mean that inserting the ISO in the Optical drive using the method I suggested did not work to get the OS installing on the VM?