Questions related to (no) bootable media

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Banner

Questions related to (no) bootable media

Post by Banner »

I installed VirtualBox and created a virtual machine for Windows 10.

My host is also Windows 10, but I want a separate environment in which to run some software.

When I clicked “Start”, I was prompted to specify a physical device or an ISO file, containing the operating system to be hosted.

However, I didn’t have the needed ISO file at the time. So, I downloaded it.

However, now, when I click “Start”, I’m simply informed that no bootable medium was found.

I googled for resolution of this issue, but the one article I found was very poorly written (and, I suspect that the author is almost entirely ignorant regarding the topic).

So, my questions are:

1) How can I specify the relevant ISO file?

2) Is the content of the ISO file installed (COPIED) onto the virtual drive used by the hosted OS?

Or, is the ISO file utilized every time the VM is started?

I am trying to determine whether the ISO file must it be retained (and, without name or location change). Is it used only once, for "installation", or is it used every time the VM is started?

Thanks in advance.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Questions related to (no) bootable media

Post by BillG »

Just like a physical PC, the installation media is only required to install the OS. You can ( and should) release the iso file from the optical drive of the vm once the OS in installed so that the vm will boot from the virtual hard drive.

You attach the iso file to the optical drive of the vm from the Settings of the vm. Select the optical drive and click on the blue disk icon on the right. Select Choose a disk file... and select the iso file you have downloaded. When you start the vm it will boot into the installer, just like a physical PC will boot from the installation disk or USB. The installation is just the same as on a physical PC.
Installer.png
Installer.png (20.15 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
Bill
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

As you seem to be having problems try the following that shows you step by step how to do it:
{link deleted}

There are other guides that can be found on the web using the following goolge search if you do not like the one above or cannot understand it:
how to install windows on virtualbox
Last edited by mpack on 25. Dec 2021, 19:31, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Off-site link deleted. These forums do not refer users to external authorities to use VirtualBox. This forum IS the authority, right after the user manual.
Banner

Post by Banner »

BillG wrote:Just like a physical PC, the installation media is only required to install the OS. You can ( and should) release the iso file from the optical drive of the vm once the OS in installed so that the vm will boot from the virtual hard drive.

You attach the iso file to the optical drive of the vm from the Settings of the vm. Select the optical drive and click on the blue disk icon on the right. Select Choose a disk file... and select the iso file you have downloaded. When you start the vm it will boot into the installer, just like a physical PC will boot from the installation disk or USB. The installation is just the same as on a physical PC.
Installer.png
Thank you very much.
Sorry for taking to long to reply.
I should have realized, that since it is possible to install from an actual DVD (rather than an ISO file), that it would no longer be needed after installation (I mean, it would be absurd for VirtualBox to require that the guest OS DVD remain in the drive).