VM no longer working on Win11

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Thomas1864

VM no longer working on Win11

Post by Thomas1864 »

Hello,
I've got a VM which works fine under Windows 10 on at least two PCs. After upgrading one of them to Win11 it stops with a Guru Meditation / Critical Error just after the BIOS screen (hit F12, etc). The guest is a Debian based one - Kali and stops at the point when selecting to boot into Kali or selecting advanced options, see screenshot.

Things I tried is
- Copying the VM over again
- Rebooting the host
- Re-installing Virtualbox (latest version 6.1.28)
- Copying the VM that is on the non-working Win11 host back to a Windows 10 PC to see if it got corrupted along the way - it works fine on the Win 10 host again.

Edit: I should be noting that other VMs are working fine under Win 11 without issues so I don't know what's wrong with this one.

If someone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks
Attachments
VBox_Win11 error.zip
Log file
(63.32 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
VBox_Win11 error.png (69.45 KiB) Viewed 6749 times
AndyCot

Re: VM no longer working on Win11

Post by AndyCot »

Search the forum for Windows 11 issues and read then to see if you can find the same issue and see what was done to fix the issue (assuming it can be fixed).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The VM guru meditates a mere 0.6 seconds after touching the disk file for booting (not much time, but almost an eternity for an android...).

There's this just after "00:00:07.088772 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Booting from Hard Disk..." and before the meditation:
00:00:07.531992 VMMDev: Guest Log: int13_harddisk: function 02, unmapped device for ELDL=81
00:00:07.532267 VMMDev: Guest Log: int13_harddisk: function 00, unmapped device for ELDL=81
00:00:07.532521 VMMDev: Guest Log: int13_harddisk: function 02, unmapped device for ELDL=81
00:00:07.532787 VMMDev: Guest Log: int13_harddisk: function 00, unmapped device for ELDL=81
00:00:07.533037 VMMDev: Guest Log: int13_harddisk: function 02, unmapped device for ELDL=81
00:00:07.533291 VMMDev: Guest Log: int13_harddisk: function 00, unmapped device for ELDL=81
I'd be curious if this appears in the log on the 10 host.

So far, the cause is inconclusive to me. Can you make a new Kali VM on the 11 host?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In addition to what scottgus1 suggested:

Please try if enlarging Display > Screen > Video Memory to 128 MB makes any difference.

In the Kali Linux boot menu, did you press the Enter key to select the highlighted option?
Thomas1864

Post by Thomas1864 »

Thanks all.

@Andycot I looked at what other issues are there but couldn't find anything that helped. The Virtualbox reinstall came from one such thread.

@fth0 Upping the video memory to 128MB unfortunately didn't make a difference. I don't get to the Kali Linux boot menu, i.e. it's not displayed before the Guru meditation hits even though it's in the log file folder. Must be a split second before the display refreshes.

@scottgus1 I asked someone else to import the VM into their Windows 11 machine, same problem. I'm now doing the same for another Win10 machine, I'll let you know of the outcome.
Also, I do have another Kali VM on this machine which works without problems which is confusing. The one that works is the standard (somewhat customised by me) Kali image, the one that doesn't work is the TracerLabs OSINT 2021.2 image which used to work on Win10.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thomas1864 wrote:The guest is a Debian based one - Kali and stops at the point when selecting to boot into Kali or selecting advanced options, see screenshot.
Thomas1864 wrote:I don't get to the Kali Linux boot menu
There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I'm talking about the menu in your screen shot. You can either let it run into its timeout or press the Enter key to select the highlighted default.
Thomas1864

Post by Thomas1864 »

Hi @fth0 - thanks for the reply. What I'm saying is that even though the menu is in the screenshot more often than not I don't get that far but see a black screen with the guru meditation only. Even if I see the screen the guru meditation happens straight after so the countdown from 5 seconds down doesn't actually happen, the machine freezes and I can't select or confirm the highlighted option.

I uploaded the log file that I have on my Windows 10 machine with this comment as well. You can see the unmapped device errors from 00:00:06.437341 on that machine as well but booting continues from there. Because of that I'm not sure if the unmapped device is a red herring.

After moving the .vdi file to my Win11 machine I used CloneVDI to copy and compress it as I needed a new UID. Attached that .vdi to a new VM and now the machine boots up in Win11 as well without the guru meditation!

So the problem somehow seems to be in the VM configuration somewhere even if I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. Or copying the machine via CloneVDI did something that removed the problem. I'd still be interested to know where it went wrong but the actual problem has gone away so that's less important now.

Thanks all who helped. Hopefully this info may be useful for someone else having a similar problem.

Thomas
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thomas1864 wrote:I uploaded the log file that I have on my Windows 10 machine with this comment as well. You can see the unmapped device errors from 00:00:06.437341 on that machine as well but booting continues from there. Because of that I'm not sure if the unmapped device is a red herring.
It looks like you didn't succeed in uploading the log file, but I've also seen those type of log messages several times in the past from running VMs, so I'd regard them as a red herring, too.
Thomas1864 wrote:So the problem somehow seems to be in the VM configuration somewhere
You could compare two VM configurations (.vbox files). Note the difference between a virtual machine (.vbox file) and a virtual hard disk image (.vdi file).