Random guest freeze on win 11 12th gen Intel

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
PeterUK

Random guest freeze on win 11 12th gen Intel

Post by PeterUK »

Tested on 6.1.28 and 6.1.29-148314

Hi been seeing a problem where the guest win11 (without EFI enabled) on win 11 host with 12th gen Intel CPU will freeze with task manage open the uptime stops but if I click in the guest it jumps forward, its random may take upto a hour before it happens.

also using Hyper-V for network VLANs

Wonder if anyone seen this problem?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Random guest freeze on win 11 12th gen Intel

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
PeterUK

Post by PeterUK »

Here is the log hope it helps.
Attachments
win 11-2021-11-17-21-06-24.zip
(33.49 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I'm curious:

You're using a Windows 11 host and guest, a "12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K" CPU with 16 cores and 24 threads, and VirtualBox 6.1.29r148314 (running in NEM mode). Everything is bleeding edge. But why do you use the very outdated VirtualBox Guest Additions (GA) 6.0.8 inside the guest?
PeterUK

Post by PeterUK »

fth0 wrote:I'm curious:

You're using a Windows 11 host and guest, a "12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K" CPU with 16 cores and 24 threads, and VirtualBox 6.1.29r148314 (running in NEM mode). Everything is bleeding edge. But why do you use the very outdated VirtualBox Guest Additions (GA) 6.0.8 inside the guest?
Well I updated the GA still the same problem

The VM was win 10 upgraded to win 11 which is why the GA was not updated plus stuff worked fine on my X99 i7 5930K so I didn't see the need to update the GA.

The bit in the log that says "vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 432 seconds ago" don't look too good... :(

The MB I'm using is a ProArt Z690-CREATOR and I don't know if its important but after installing win 11 with some uptime the host locked up but their was a new firmware update that fixed that problem so...could the MB for the hardware virtualization be a bug?

Edit: I'm now going to disable Nested paging and see what happens...So with PAE/NX and Nested paging disabled the guest still freezes
Attachments
win 11-2021-11-17-23-01-37.zip
(33.24 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

PeterUK wrote:Well I updated the GA still the same problem
Ok, that takes the GA out of the equation.
PeterUK wrote:The bit in the log that says "vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 432 seconds ago" don't look too good... :(
Correct. Those type of log messages usually indicate that the guest didn't get CPU resources for too long, which (I think) leaves the host and/or the VirtualBox process itself as primary suspects. I don't see any other types of indication in the win 11-2021-11-17-23-01-37.log file why this was the case.

You have many bleeding edge parts in your overall setup, which will make it really hard to distinguish any possible cause. For a test, could you try to take Hyper-V out of the equation (bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off), to see if Windows 11 + Intel 12th gen CPU already show the freezes?
PeterUK

Post by PeterUK »

Might of found a workaround by changing the Paravirtualization interface to none but I'm not sure what that does...

Nope was stable for 2hours then it freeze.
Last edited by PeterUK on 18. Nov 2021, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

PeterUK wrote:what I can do is not have any networks adapters enabled for the guest
I'll suspect that the presence of Hyper-V itself is the thing fth0 was driving at. The devs had to make new arrangements to handle Windows 11 Hyper-V and Virtualbox together, and it could be there's more to do. Turning off Hyper-V altogether could be the way to tell.

I doubt, though I can't say for certain, that merely trying Hyper-V-less for a bit would really damage your Hyper-V setup. Just not starting Hyper-V VMs should prevent 'damage'. And of course a host disk backup, just in case...
PeterUK

Post by PeterUK »

But I have a 11th gen setup for DNS with guest ubuntu with Hyper-V VLANs on win 11 without problem so I don't see it being the problem unless 12th cpu with Hyper-V is not the same as 11th cpu?
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

I don't think we have any real experience with Intel 12th gen CPUs yet, especially what influence the P(erformance) and E(fficiency) cores may have. On the other hand, using NEM (Hyper-V) poses slowness issues for many users, independent of the host CPU. In consequence, it's difficult to assess what's important and what's not, that's why I've been asking to eliminate the Hyper-V hypervisor for a test.
PeterUK

Post by PeterUK »

Ok this might be a workaround I have to leave it over night to test but what I did was change USB to USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0

nope still freeze...

Its odd when it freezes and I open the VM manager it unfreezes...
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

In C:\Users\<username>\.VirtualBox (note the "."), you'll find the (user-specific) global configuration and log files. If you post the folder contents in a zip file to have us also take a look, please accompany it by a description of your latest guest freeze experience with approximate wall clock times.
PeterUK

Post by PeterUK »

Well I tried one late thing and to my surprise over 7 hours later it worked! the solution is leave the VM manager open as you run the VM normally I close the VM manager but for some reason you need to leave it open.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Interesting. The first VirtualBox frontend (e.g. VirtualBox Manager, VBoxManage, ...) or the first VirtualBox VM starts a process named VBoxSVC, which runs in the background until the last VirtualBox frontend or VirtualBox VM is terminated. Additionally, the VirtualBox Manager displays a Preview of the running VMs, and therefore communicates regularly (e.g. every second) with the VBoxSVC process. I wonder if this plays a role. If you want to test this theory, right-click on the Preview to disable it.
PeterUK

Post by PeterUK »

I disabled the Preview from VM Manager with it open and the VM does not freeze so its not that...Edit redoing the test it freeze so maybe it was the Preview settings..
Last edited by PeterUK on 19. Nov 2021, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.