Why Am I Forced to Add an .iso to Virtual Media Mgr

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gentisle
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Various Debian based, Various FreeBSD based, Open Indiana

Why Am I Forced to Add an .iso to Virtual Media Mgr

Post by gentisle »

Hi,
In Windows 7 Pro 64-bit host (VirtualBox 6.1.28), I cannot simply add a disc image (of any type OS) in the settings for said guest. But on my Mac or Linux boxes, I can. In Windows, I first have to go to the Virtual Media Manager, add the image there, and then I can add it in the guest settings (otherwise, the guest won't boot). I used to be able to do this under every version of Windows that I've run VirtualBox under. Any ideas? Did I miss a change in the last few versions of Windows that is now different just for Windows hosts? Or is there a corruption that needs to be found/fixed? I had uninstalled VirtualBox once, and re-installed a later version, but still, this anomaly exists. Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Why Am I Forced to Add and .iso to Virtual Media Mgr

Post by scottgus1 »

When the VM is selected in the VM list, and the VM's settings show in the right pane, if you click the Optical Drive in the VM's Storage settings, do you get a popup menu like this:

If so, does "Choose Disk Image" take you to a Windows file selector window where you can pick the ISO you want?
gentisle
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Various Debian based, Various FreeBSD based, Open Indiana

Re: Why Am I Forced to Add an .iso to Virtual Media Mgr

Post by gentisle »

Yes, and yes. But even though I select the disc image, it won't boot without first complaining, and making me click some other things. It's been a while since I've done it. But I just tried a new OpenBSD disc, and it seems to work normally. Guess it was an earlier version that had a weird problem, like to missing icon problem. Thanks for your help.