Setting client window size is ignored

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mick P. F.
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Setting client window size is ignored

Post by Mick P. F. »

Hello,

I use VirtualBox 6.1.28 on a host with Windows 11, 64 bit.

I've installed actual openSUSE Tumbleweed (it brings/installs its own virtualbox drivers) and have problems setting its window size:

During the boot process the VM window changes its size several times. That wouldn't be too tragic if at the end the window would appear in the desired or set resolution. But it always ends with the resolution "1022x600", which I accidentally selected in linux after installing openSUSE but not saved.
It doesn't matter what I configure in the settings of VirtualBox (File / Preferences / Display / ...) or in openSUSE (grub, X11). It is simply ignored at the end of the boot process!

Can someone please help me to switch off this behavior and above all so that the window with the desired size appears at the end of the boot process.

I have attached the VirtualBox log file. There are no log entries under openSUSE that would somehow bring the solution closer.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Attachments
VBox.zip
(38.53 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Setting client window size is ignored

Post by mpack »

You can't "set" the guest display size in VirtualBox. An OS determines whatever display size it wants to use. That's how it works in the physical world, so that's how it works in a VM as well.

You can set a hint to let the guest know that certain display sizes are available, but frankly I think that has only a placebo effect. I would however change the manager preference File|Preferences|Maximum Guest Screen Size to None.

Btw, please increase graphics RAM to something respectable. 128MB should do it.

Also reduce CPU cores to 2. The host needs CPU too.

I see that Guest Additions have been installed (albeit from the OpenSUSE fork). That's good. That means you should be able to request a change to another display size while the guest is running, using the "View|Virtual Screen 1|Resize to www x hhh" menu items of the running VM.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

While the VM is not running, execute the following command in a Windows command prompt:

Code: Select all

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
VBoxManage setextradata "openSUSE" "GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" "2560,1440"
Mick P. F.
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by Mick P. F. »

Hello,

The hint with the command "VBoxManage" works after I removed the file ${HOME}\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml. Without removing this file openSUSE crashed during booting

Many thanks
Nobody is perfect!
Nobody lives forever to correct his mistakes someday in the future, if not right now!
Covid-19 is not responsible for any human failures!