VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Thanos

VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox

Post by Thanos »

When VirtualBox 6.1.28 dropped I installed it as soon as it came out because of the prompt that pops up when there is a new version.
After installing the new version when trying to launch my VMs I would get this:

Failed to load R0 module E:\VMs\VirtualBox VMs\VMMR0.r0: SUP_IOCTL_LDR_OPEN failed (VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE).

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed

I was troubleshooting this for about 1 week before I found any kind of a fix which was just going back to the old version (6.1.26)
Then I get the same error szx got in this thread. "the VirtualBox kernel modules do not match...."
The only solutions to that fix is to go back to the most recent version of of VirtualBox as far as I know. That will just give me the same "Failed to load VMMR0.r0" error.

Before updating my VirtualBox (everything was working fine) I had moved the VDI files from my C: drive to my E: drive because they were taking up too much space. My VMs disappeared if I remember correctly from VirtualBox but I fixed the issue by launching the VMs from my files by clicking on "kali linux (main)" on the attached image. The VMs reappeared and I no longer had to launch this way, I just used my VMs regularly from VirtualBox VMs

I see no other reason as to why my VM would fail, I didn't mess with anything at all previously to moving my files. Please help me if you can. I see nothing else I can do
Attachments
vmboxforumimage.png
vmboxforumimage.png (10.05 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
Thanos

Failed to load R0 module on new Microsoft Surface

Post by Thanos »

scottgus1 wrote:6.1.28 has a bug. Use 6.1.26 and matching Extension Pack here: ........

I installed 6.1.28 and it's extension pack, now I get 2 pop ups which I have attached bellow.

Trying 6.1.28 just gives this
Failed to load R0 module E:\VMsVirtualBox/VMMR0.r0: SUP_IOCTL_LDR_OPEN failed (VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE).

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE).

Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Trying 6.1.26, 6.1.22 and 6.1.24 all give this + that pop up

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 10.

The virtual machine 'Windows 10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'E:\VMBOX\Windows 10\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

What can I do?
Attachments
errorvm2.png
errorvm2.png (13.52 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
errorvm.png
errorvm.png (13.18 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox

Post by scottgus1 »

I merged in your other topic, since the error in this topic might be influencing the merged topic.

From this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87037 it appears that the cause of this error is that the Virtualbox installer (which is really a Microsoft MSI Installer program carrying the Virtualbox payload) is blocked somehow from removing the Virtualbox files located in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\". A manual removal of these files after re-uninstalling Virtualbox may clear up the error for the next reinstall.

Uninstall Virtualbox, search for and destroy files in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\" starting with "VBox". Then do a Run As Administrator reinstall of Virtualbox

That said, 6.1.28 has a bug affecting Windows 10 hosts with any Hyper-V-based services enabled. 6.1.26 does not have the bug.
Thanos wrote:I installed it as soon as it came out because of the prompt that pops up when there is a new version.
The prompt only reports that a new version is available. It does not require you to update. You can stay on the existing version for as long as the host OS continues to let you. You can turn off the prompt if you want or just close it and ignore it.
Thanos

Post by Thanos »

Your solution worked! Thank you so much after 2 weeks of trouble shooting I finally figured this out, I love being an amateur lol
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The Windows Hypervisor-enforced Code Integrity (HVCI) feature rejects the VirtualBox component VMMR0.r0. A workaround is to disable HVCI aka Memory integrity as follows:

On your Windows host, go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Security > Device security > Core isolation details, turn off Memory integrity and reboot the Windows host.