Virtualbox running LinuxLite - GParted says all space is "unallocated"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
revolverocelot

Virtualbox running LinuxLite - GParted says all space is "unallocated"

Post by revolverocelot »

hi, sorry for any mistakes this is my first post
im using virtualbox on windows 10 and virtualbox is running a LinuxLite ISO, i haven't made any changes to linuxlite and am on a fresh start, no snapshots or anything
when i was setting up the virtualmachine i allocated 20GB of space for it (which is more than enough for what i need to do) but i can't actually use any of the space and i think this is why:
i checked GParted and it only shows one partition of 20GB but it's all unallocated. i haven't tried to increase the partition space, this is what i gave it at the start. when setting up the linux virtual machine ''i chose add a virtual hard disk now'' and the hard disk file type is VDI.

i really didn't want to make a post but i've tried looking through the FAQ and through other user's posts on various sites but they were all about people who had tried to increase the amount of space given but i haven't increased anything, i just can't use what i gave to it in the first place.

i've tried to add a screenshot to this post but since i'm a new user i can't, i tried inserting using Img but it wouldn't let me (i need to be an active user for one day and have one prior post but i don't want to make a junk post just to do that).
thanks everyone.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox running LinuxLite - GParted says all space is "unallocated"

Post by scottgus1 »

logs and pictures can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post.

The disk file made by Virtualbox is an unformatted unpartitioned disk. Either you have to do the partitioning and formatting while you install the OS, or your OS will do it automatically if it is programmed to do so.
revolverocelot

Post by revolverocelot »

thanks for the reply! i don't think i installed linuxlite since i'm running it from an ISO? since it didnt happen automatically i assume the OS isnt programmed to do it. i didn't see any options while making the virtual machine.
Either you have to do the partitioning and formatting while you install the OS
could you give me some more info about this? im not sure which step youre referring to since i didnt think there were any installations during the process of using an ISO with virtualbox. but some more help so i can figure out when and where to do that would be excellent.

and thanks for the top about Upload Attachment, i should have the screenshot attached now :)

oh also, i'm running the virtualbox on windows 10 and i have a C:// and a D://, i assume that complicates things? but i'm not sure if it does or how to deal with it.
Attachments
gpartedunallocated.png
gpartedunallocated.png (23.49 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The host drives provide storage space for the VM's files, and the designations for the host drives don't get seen by the VM's OS. So your C and D drives won't interfere with the VM's operation. Generally, what happens in the VM stays in the VM. :D

From your screenshot it appears that you have Gparted running in the VM and accessing the 20GB drive. I am not familiar with running Gparted, but you'd use it the same way you'd use it in a real PC. You'd have to make partitions and format them according to the setup requirements of LinuxLite.

Some OS's, like Windows and some Linux, can only boot their ISO's to an installation environment to oversee installing the OS. Others, like Linux Mint, are 'LiveCDs' will boot into a temporary working OS environment with the Linux desktop, and one of the programs is an OS installer. Maybe LinuxLite is a LiveCD?
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

If you are running it as a live CD, nothing will be written to the virtual disk. That will be partitioned and formatted when you install the OS from the ISO file.
Bill
revolverocelot

Post by revolverocelot »

thanks for the replies! i tried a different linux ISO and the problem is no longer present.

thanks everyone for the quick & friendly replies, i appreciate it :)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Excellent! Glad you're up and running.