VirtualBox installer on Windows 11: This app can't run on this device

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fred1

VirtualBox installer on Windows 11: This app can't run on this device

Post by fred1 »

Disabling core isolation memory integrity is not an option for me.

VMware Workstation Player is confirmed to be working on my device but I am in a position where I need to run a multitude of virtual machines at once.
Attachments
VirtualBox installer error on Windows 11.
VirtualBox installer error on Windows 11.
virtualbox-installer-this-app-cant-run-on-this-device.png (8.48 KiB) Viewed 26871 times
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: VirtualBox installer on Windows 11: This app can't run on this device

Post by klaus »

Use VirtualBox 6.1.28... we told Microsoft that it contains the necessary fixes.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

klaus wrote:Use VirtualBox 6.1.28... we told Microsoft that it contains the necessary fixes.
This screen comes from the 6.1.28 installer. I have tried 6.1.29 as well, no difference.
hystrix

Post by hystrix »

I have the same problem. What is known about the hotfix?
constvoid

Post by constvoid »

I get the same error - neither 6.1.28 nor the latest development snapshot 6.1.97 (148030) will install on my Windows 11 PC so I'm without VirtualBox currently.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

So far all we can do is wait for further test builds and releases. Does the Lean More button reveal more info, or there might be an error post in the Event Viewer?

A Bugtracker post with whatever documentary evidence you can gather from Windows might help.

FWIW Some posters report Virtualbox running on 11, so it isn't a complete washout. Just have to figure out why it won't work for your computers.

Also, Windows 11 is not considered a supported host OS yet, bugs are still being worked on.

one other possibility, turn off the program compatibility assistant, web-search how to do so.
rrei

Windows 11 discussion - fully supported by VirtualBox 7.0

Post by rrei »

Hi all,

I am using a fresh install of windows 11 pro and it still doesn't let me run the installer for 6.1.97 (same error message as with 6.1.28; see attached image).
vbox6.1.97-installer-fails.png
vbox6.1.97-installer-fails.png (52.96 KiB) Viewed 26286 times
Does anyone have any workarounds or do I have to wait for a future version?
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Rui
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Please look at my post above, consider disabling the PCA.

Klaus above reports that MS got told that Virtualbox was OK, but it's not known yet why MS hasn't got the memo.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

My (totally uneducated) guess currently is that Microsoft got somehow confused by the regression in 6.1.28 running on Windows 10 with Hyper-V enabled. Which of course is unrelated, but it's the only explanation which makes some sense. Will poke my contacts again (especially now that the test builds have a fix for the 6.1.28 regression - but I fear that Microsoft will explain to me again that the 6.1.29 test build doesn't have attestation signed drivers...).
YsHaNg

Post by YsHaNg »

I installed 6.1.28 last week, it was on a Windows 10 with hyper-v, then I got the VM boot failure. So I uninstalled virtualbox, upgraded to Windows 11, then installed 6.1.28 back without any issue. All my VMs boot up correctly. I have program compatibility assistant service running, VBS on, core isolation memory integrity is off. I didn't change status of hyper-v during upgrading.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

klaus wrote:My (totally uneducated) guess currently is that Microsoft got somehow confused by the regression in 6.1.28 running on Windows 10 with Hyper-V enabled. Which of course is unrelated, but it's the only explanation which makes some sense. Will poke my contacts again (especially now that the test builds have a fix for the 6.1.28 regression - but I fear that Microsoft will explain to me again that the 6.1.29 test build doesn't have attestation signed drivers...).
The 6.1.97 build does not work either. No build is being accepted. It seems to have a universal VirtualBox block.

If core isolation is disabled, VirtualBox then installed, and core isolation enabled again, the VirtualBox driver will be blocked upon reboot rendering the software useless.
YsHaNg wrote:I installed 6.1.28 last week, it was on a Windows 10 with hyper-v, then I got the VM boot failure. So I uninstalled virtualbox, upgraded to Windows 11, then installed 6.1.28 back without any issue. All my VMs boot up correctly. I have program compatibility assistant service running, VBS on, core isolation memory integrity is off. I didn't change status of hyper-v during upgrading.
This is in regards to core isolation being enabled and VirtualBox not working. I had core isolation enabled on Windows 10 and VirtualBox worked fine. With the same settings it is being blocked in Windows 11.
dsh21
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: mandriva

Post by dsh21 »

the only way i could get vbox 6.1.28 working in windows 11 pro and education was to disable memory integrity under core isolation.
Wanderlei
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by Wanderlei »

Any updates about it?

Still not possible to install Virtual Box in Windows 11.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Wanderlei wrote:Any updates about it?
If https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads does not show further than 6.1.28 as of today, and the test builds won't work either, then no.