Oracle VM does not open at all on win 10 pro

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Giben

Oracle VM does not open at all on win 10 pro

Post by Giben »

Hey, i've been having this issue for a few months now and a few people i have spoken to do not know what is wrong and why it will not open at all, so here i am. Open to any suggestions, will let you all know what i've tried as i go.

i've reinstalled it a few times and no luck, program doesn't want to open
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Oracle VM does not open at all on win 10 pro

Post by BillG »

Do you mean that the VirtualBox program does not open, or that you cannot start a vm?

If VirtualBox runs and the the VirtualBox Manager window opens, a screenshot of that would be a good start.
VmManager.png
VmManager.png (34.39 KiB) Viewed 6068 times
What OS is your host PC running? Any error messages you see when you try to run a vm would help.
Bill
Giben

Post by Giben »

BillG wrote:Do you mean that the VirtualBox program does not open, or that you cannot start a vm?

If VirtualBox runs and the the VirtualBox Manager window opens, a screenshot of that would be a good start.
VmManager.png
What OS is your host PC running? Any error messages you see when you try to run a vm would help.

The actual program will not open. It was working a few days ago. Nothing has changed on my pc since it last worked, windows 10 pro. No error at all, just doesn't open.

Tried running as admin and in compatibility. With and without hyper v, same for 3d acceleration.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

You don't need run as admin to run VirtualBox, only to install it. In fact it is not a good idea.

I would uninstall VirtualBox from Control Panel>Programs and Features, then reinstall it using the run as administrator option. Your vm should not be affected.
Bill
Giben

Post by Giben »

BillG wrote:You don't need run as admin to run VirtualBox, only to install it. In fact it is not a good idea.

I would uninstall VirtualBox from Control Panel>Programs and Features, then reinstall it using the run as administrator option. Your vm should not be affected.

I've tried this already as well, everything listed, i've tried with and without.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Try removing all USB devices from your computer except basic mouse and keyboard. Does Virtualbox open then?
Giben

Post by Giben »

scottgus1 wrote:Try removing all USB devices from your computer except basic mouse and keyboard. Does Virtualbox open then?
This also did not work :(
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Please go to C:\Users\{youraccount}\ and zip & post the whole ".Virtualbox" folder (note the period in the folder name), using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Giben

Post by Giben »

scottgus1 wrote:Please go to C:\Users\{youraccount}\ and zip & post the whole ".Virtualbox" folder (note the period in the folder name), using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Attachments
.VirtualBox.zip
(91.28 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the zip. Unfortunately I don't see anything that indicates what might be the problem. Others may, however, we'll have to wait for someone who does.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The newest log files are from October 19th. Can you tell us when you did what?
Giben

Post by Giben »

fth0 wrote:The newest log files are from October 19th. Can you tell us when you did what?
I've redownloaded this probably every day or every 2nd day for the past 3 months, trying to get this to work.

It worked for 2 weeks, and now it doesn't work again. ( nothing changed on my pc in that time )

It opens in background processes and when i go to turn my pc off ( after trying to open in ) it tells me that virtualbox has open connections. So i'm unsure as to why the program won't open. Both my teacher's are also unsure.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Giben wrote:
fth0 wrote:The newest log files are from October 19th. Can you tell us when you did what?
I've redownloaded this probably every day or every 2nd day for the past 3 months, trying to get this to work.

It worked for 2 weeks, and now it doesn't work again. ( nothing changed on my pc in that time )

It opens in background processes and when i go to turn my pc off ( after trying to open in ) it tells me that virtualbox has open connections. So i'm unsure as to why the program won't open. Both my teacher's are also unsure.
Your description could use a bit more accuracy. ;) Some examples:

You do not clearly state what you did before October 19th, and what you did after that day. You also do not state what "this" and "it" are, which "background processes" you're talking about, and so on.

VirtualBox consists of several programs and processes, and since the log files do not give us any information about what happened since October 20th, it's difficult to give you any concrete advice ... at least for me.
Giben

Post by Giben »

fth0 wrote:
Giben wrote:

Your description could use a bit more accuracy. ;) Some examples:

You do not clearly state what you did before October 19th, and what you did after that day. You also do not state what "this" and "it" are, which "background processes" you're talking about, and so on.

VirtualBox consists of several programs and processes, and since the log files do not give us any information about what happened since October 20th, it's difficult to give you any concrete advice ... at least for me.

Well obviously "this" is refering to virtual box as it's the only thing that has been mentioned downloading. I don't know how to tell what background processes it opens, just that it does because it comes up saying that when i go to turn off my computer. "it" is once again referring to virtual box program ( ORACLE as stated in the title ).

So please, without me trying to sound rude. Tell me what you would like and how to receive the information requested so that i can get the maximum amount of help and give you the information that you would like rather than state how little information i was giving. I'm doing one of the lowest certificates in IT, i'm new to virtual box and doing what i can.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Ok, understood. I'll try and rephrase my statements and questions to make them clearer. Let's start with the evidence/facts:

You provided the requested log files at October 28th 15:37 UTC. Those log files indicate that you started the VirtualBox Manager 6.1.22 for the last time around October 19th 02:43 UTC (2021-10-19T02:43:44.846751800Z) and that you stopped either the VirtualBox Manager or the last running VM ~1 hour later around 03:54 UTC.

Now to the initial questions:

1. The VirtualBox Manager is one of the VirtualBox programs. VBoxHeadless and VBoxManage are two other VirtualBox programs. Did you try to use the VirtualBox Manager or any of the other VirtualBox programs between October 19th and October 28th? If the answer is yes, please try to describe exactly what you did (e.g. key presses, mouse clicks).

2. VirtualBox 6.1.22 is an older version, VirtualBox 6.1.28 is the current version. Did you try to download, install and use the VirtualBox version 6.1.22 or another version? Did you also install the VirtualBox Extension Pack, and if yes, the matching version?

3. When you stop and start your Windows host OS, how do you do that? Do you shut it down via the Start Menu in the evening and start it in the morning? Or do you keep it sleeping/running around the clock? Did you ever restart it via the Start Menu? Note that with the Windows OSes, there is a big difference between "shut down + start" and "restart", because the former uses the "Fast Startup" hibernation.

4. In the facts above, I gave the dates and times in UTC, because I don't know where you live. What timezone do you live in? My current timezone is MEST or UTC+2, which means that it's already late for me to go sleeping. ;)