Proxy Settings on VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Toormser

Proxy Settings on VirtualBox

Post by Toormser »

Is there a way to configure username and password into the proxy settings from VirtualBox Settings, so that I don't have to configure proxy in every single machine (or Guest OS)?

Thanks
Toormser
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Proxy Settings on VirtualBox

Post by fth0 »

Please try if including the username and password in the proxy URL works:
VirtualBox.xidl file wrote:The format is: [{type}"://"][{userid}[:{password}]@]{server}[":"{port}]
Toormser

Post by Toormser »

Thanks for your reply. This works, so far the client warns me about transfer credentials in clear.

The problem is, that the new created virtual machine doesn't use this proxy setting by default. Is this normal? Is this possible to setup the proxy for the (or all) whole machines either?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If I interpret correctly, the Proxy settings under the main Virtualbox window's Preferences only controls the main Virtualbox program's connection to the internet, for update checking and perhaps the Oracle cloud service. The VMs have their own channels to the internet independent of Preferences > Proxy.

To have a desired set of VMs connect to a proxy, I think you'd have to provide your own 'proxy router' device. I have not used a proxy before so this is all theoretical, but here are a few possible ways. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures.
  • Since Virtualbox NAT and NAT Network go through the host's internet connection, put the whole host on a proxy, and set the VMs to NAT or NAT Network.
  • If the host cannot be proxied but the VMs should be, make a 'Sandbox' setup with the router VM acting as the proxy.
  • If the host cannot be proxied and there is not enough host room for a sandbox proxy router VM, Bridge all the VMs to a second host network adapter, connect that adapter to a you-provided proxy device, then connect the proxy device to your LAN.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, I have nothing to add to what scottgus1 wrote.