No log files found.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
stawes

No log files found.

Post by stawes »

I have been using Virtualbox many years on Windows 10 running a a small application on Windows XP.
Now I am trying to install the same application on a brand new PC. I had it working but suddenly a popup windows showing log information that I could not get rid of. I decided to remove the virtual machine and created a new one. This resulted in the error: No log files found. Press the Refresh button to rescan the log folder C:\Users\swest\VirtualBox VMs\WXP_4\Logs.There was no log file. Same restult with a new machine and also after uninstalling Virtualbox. It seems to me as someting fundamental is wrong.

What can I do to figure out what is going on.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: No log files found.

Post by scottgus1 »

stawes wrote:This resulted in the error: No log files found. Press the Refresh button to rescan the log folder C:\Users\swest\VirtualBox VMs\WXP_4\Logs
This is not an error. It is the window that appears when you issue the command to Show Logs (right-click the VM in the list and choose Show Log, or set the Details/Snapshots/Logs switch to Logs), and the VM has no logs in the Logs folder.

This situation can be ignored.
stawes wrote:I have been using Virtualbox many years on Windows 10 running a a small application on Windows XP.
Now I am trying to install the same application on a brand new PC.
Simply copy the old VM folder with the .vbox file and disk file(s) to the new host and register the .vbox file on the new host.
stawes wrote:suddenly a popup windows showing log information that I could not get rid of.
We'd need to see what this is. Pictures that can be posted using the forum's Upload Attachment tab on the first day first post. Crop and resize the picture to get under the forum's 128kB size limit yet remain legible, then post the picture file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
stawes

Post by stawes »

I copyed the vm from the old PC and posted it on the map for VM on the new PC.
The result is showe in th the attackment.
I then started the machine and it ended up with the screen to login to windows XP.
I think this means that you can not move the snapshot of the machine.Do you want the log file as well.
Attachments
VB-log-image.PNG
VB-log-image.PNG (69.89 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

stawes wrote:I copyed the vm from the old PC and posted it on the map for VM on the new PC.
If this process was:
scottgus1 wrote:copy the old VM folder ... and register the .vbox file on the new host
Then all the snapshots came too.

The screenshot shows the Details/Snapshots/Logs switch (the icon with the three dots and three bars at the end of the blue VM tile) set to Logs. Click the three-dots/bars icon and choose Snapshots, then the Snapshot pane will appear. Click again and choose Details, and the VM's settings pane will appear.
stawes

Post by stawes »

I followed uour advice and the snspshots shoved upp.
II selected details and it looked fine.
Very good so far.
When starting the machine i got this error.
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows XP Mode.

The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}

See the screenshot
What does that mean?
Attachments
Session-closed.PNG
Session-closed.PNG (56.9 KiB) Viewed 4026 times