VirtualBox hanging on the black screen and cursor forever

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
zemira000

VirtualBox hanging on the black screen and cursor forever

Post by zemira000 »

Hi everyone! Hope you're having a great sunday.
I'm writing here for the first time since I'm pretty fresh in the VirtualBox world and mostly I'm here because I'm struggling with my own VM at the moment. I've had this VM for one year almost, and few days ago it stopped booting, forever apparently. So last thing I know is that I downloaded two programms that almost used all the memory availbale in the VM, so I enlarged it. Then it started acting out, and stopped booting, getting stuck on the black screen forever. I tried to enlarge the video memory, disable the accelaration 3d and the graphic card, but nothing changed. Now I read a lot about disabling Hyper-V but I have windows 10 Home so I shouldn't have it on the machine, and hence not interfering with the VM. Anyways I'm posting the log in the zip file here so that someone may find a striking error that I cannot see. thanks in advance to anyone will give the time to reading this!
Attachments
VMlog.zip
(45.73 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox hanging on the black screen and cursor forever

Post by scottgus1 »

zemira000 wrote:hanging on the black screen and cursor forever
last thing I know is that I downloaded two programms that almost used all the memory availbale in the VM
Based on this alone I guess it's an Ubuntu VM, and:
the log wrote:00:00:10.906008 Guest OS type: 'Ubuntu_64'
I am correct! :D

Assuming the VM type is correctly set, Ubuntu is known to go to black-screen when there is not enough disk space available to start the desktop environment. This happens on real PCs too. Web-search how to fix Ubuntu black-screen because of too little disk space, do what the web-search says to the VM, and please let us know what happened. (Hint, log onto the VM text-only, delete enough stuff.)

Then see How to Resize a Drive

zemira000 wrote:about disabling Hyper-V but I have windows 10 Home so I shouldn't have it on the machine, and hence not interfering with the VM.
the log wrote:00:00:11.011705 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is not available
Contrary to popular opinion, Home does have Hyper-V, and your Home's Hyper-V is active. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active). Since the VM was working before, you may not need to defeat Hyper-V. However, you might get better Virtualbox performance if you defeat it.

One other thing, host RAM is severely consumed:
00:00:10.417584 Host RAM: 8078MB (7.8GB) total, 663MB available
00:00:11.010167 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000080000000 (2 147 483 648, 2 048 MB)