Virtualbox fails to start VMs: The virtual machine 'openbsd' has terminated unexpectedly ...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mp3

Virtualbox fails to start VMs: The virtual machine 'openbsd' has terminated unexpectedly ...

Post by mp3 »

Hello, I have windows 10 (ru), installed Virtualbox 6.1.26, created debian-11 amd64 VM, it was running fine. Then I enabled rdp and accessed the laptop with 'rdesktop' from openbsd host. After that I created new openbsd VM and when I was trying to start it I got an error:

where: supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 5 VERR_INVALID_NAME (- 104) - Invalid (malformed) file/path name.

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}

I tried to upgrade to the latest 6.1.28 (ran installer "As administrator") - but still having the same problem. VBoxHardening.log is attached.

I tried "sfc /scannow" from "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" - it returns success, no errors. I don't have any AV installed.

Also, I lost ability to start any VMs even when I'm logged in locally - they all fail with the same message above. I tried to reboot - error persist.

If it does matter - my login name in windows is written in cyrillics.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(11.36 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox fails to start VMs: The virtual machine 'openbsd' has terminated unexpectedly ...

Post by scottgus1 »

Sometimes the trouble-causing software doesn't appear in the log, as it doesn't this time, as I can see.

See Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues Look out for nanny-style web-safe security software, Trusteer Rapport, HPprotectTools, stuff like that.
mp3

Re: Virtualbox fails to start VMs: The virtual machine 'openbsd' has terminated unexpectedly ...

Post by mp3 »

scottgus1 wrote:See Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues Look out for nanny-style web-safe security software, Trusteer Rapport, HPprotectTools, stuff like that.
Yeah, I saw the diagnosing post, tried things from it - no luck, also - no non-default security software of any kind.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

VirtualBox tried to create a new process by calling the Windows function CreateProcessW(), which was denied. This code is used whenever a VM is started on a Windows host.

Some so-called security software is known to intercept CreateProcessW() function calls, so the given advice helped the majority of users encountering this issue. But it is also possible that you've configured some Windows security function different from the majority of VirtualBox users, which acts similarly. I don't know if someone has ever tried to deliberately reproduce this error.