Install Ubuntu VM under non-administrator account?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Tek Unsavvy

Install Ubuntu VM under non-administrator account?

Post by Tek Unsavvy »

I have a laptop for personal use. A non-administrator acts as the workhorse account, while the administrator account is used for machine maintenance. This ensures that I don't do too much damage if I do something...unintended.

I am following this guide on installing an Ubuntu VM:

linuxiac dot com slash ubuntu-with-virtualbox

Is there a way to install that VM under my non-administrator account? The following thread is the closest that I could find, but it seems to be motivated by security whereas I'm just trying to avoid unnecessary use of Windows elevated privileges to protect the Windows environment against myself:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=99949

The answer to that question is "no". I'm new to VMs, so I'm sorry if that answer also applies to my question. Any clarification would help.

Thanks.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 21. Oct 2021, 00:23, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: activated forum link
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Install Ubuntu VM under non-administrator account?

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox runs perfectly fine on non-admin accounts. The only times Virtualbox needs Run-As-Admin privileges on Windows hosts are:
  • Installing/upgrading Virtualbox
  • Installing/upgrading the Extension Pack
  • running a Raw Disk Access VM
Making and running normal VMs do not require admin privileges.

Virtualbox can be installed under the non-admin account you normally use.

The installer should be right-click-Run-As-Administrator, then start Virtualbox right out of the installer to keep RAA privileges so you can install the Extension Pack.

Then close Virtualbox, wait a half-minute, then open Virtualbox again using simple double-click without admin privileges and virtualize away!

(BTW the linked forum topic was about attempting to lock down Virtualbox's capabilities, possibly using admin vs normal privileges, which cannot be done.)
Tek Unsavvy

Post by Tek Unsavvy »

Thanks! I will uninstall VirtualBox and re-install under the non-administrator account.

In the meantime, I am running into other issues after starting the Ubuntu *.iso file, which I will post separately.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If you haven'te uninstalled yet, you should not need to reinstall under the regular account. Each account can use Virtualbox for its own VMs.
Tek Unsavvy

Post by Tek Unsavvy »

Thanks again. That saves so much time. Plus, I always imagine uninstalling and reinstalling leaving lots of loose ends.