Set a default audio device for guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Chico008
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Set a default audio device for guest

Post by Chico008 »

Hi

I'm using virtualbox on a Win10 host, and running a Win10 guest to work from my home.

I have 2 audio device
- speaker
- headset with microphone

sometime, i change, on host, my outpout devide to speaker to listen some music
but often, when a change back to headset, my guest is not outputing audio anymore, and i can't make a call or go to online meeting because i loose audio

is there a way to make a guest always use a specific audio (headset for my example) et never change, even if i change on my host ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Set a default audio device for guest

Post by scottgus1 »

I can't say for certain, but generally what happens on one computer is not known on another computer. And the host & VM are two separate "computers", typically.

Since the audio gets set up during the start of the VM it may not follow the host's audio changes.

First, make sure you're running 6.1.26 Virtualbox, since audio changes were made in .22 and .24.

Then try turning off audio output and turning it on again in the VM's Devices menu or the Status Bar's speaker icon.

If neither of these work, please start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set. Then right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log and the next tab over (the hardening log), zip both files, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Chico008

Post by Chico008 »

i'm running the latest version, 6.1.26

for now when it happen i restart my vm, but it's annoying :/
but the vm still work, it's not stuck, but just you loose the audio output, no matter wich audio output you select on your host :/ (but the microphone still works, my teamates could hear me yelling at my computer, but i couldn't hear them)

i'll try to deactivate/activate audio output next time and see if it works or not.
Chico008

Post by Chico008 »

Tried deactivate/reactivate output on the VM, but still the same

when first start sound output OK to headset
then sometime i can change on my host output to speake, Vm keep headset,
but sometime VM switch too to speaker, and never go back to headset again :/

can't find where the logs are
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Chico008 wrote:can't find where the logs are
The last paragraph of my post above explains exactly how to find the logs and what to do with them.