Win32 App Crashes in Windows Xp guest after a Windows 10 Host software update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
GaryS

Win32 App Crashes in Windows Xp guest after a Windows 10 Host software update

Post by GaryS »

I’m running VirtualBox 6.0.22 r137980 (Qt 5.6.2) with Guest Additions installed in two laptops. The guest machine on each is Windows Xp Pro Sp3

My laptop windows Version is: Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.1237) running on a Lenovo T540p ThinkPad laptop with 7.69 GB usable RAM.
My wife’s windows version is: Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1288) running on a Lenovo IdeaPad 330-15IKB Touch laptop

For some time I’ve been using various legacy apps in my WinXp VirtualBox vs 6.0.22 r137980 (Qt 5.6.2) running on Windows 10. After what I assume was one of Microsoft’s periodic updates, my Act Vs 4.0 stopped working with the following messages
Act Crash Error Messages
Act Crash Error Messages
Act Crash Error Messages.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
and the Act log file:
90bd_appcompat.txt
Act log file referenced in error message
(79.24 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
For several weeks after Act crashed on my computer, my wife’s computer ran Act without any problems. Then it crashed on hers also after I clicked on the Microsoft come-on, “Improve … with New Features…” Now her computer does the same thing. Other legacy apps continue to work OK. E.g. Microsoft Access 97, and a DOS application Managing Your Money.

VB Log file:
Windows XP Pro SP3-2021-10-15-21-23-11.log
VB Log file
(83.74 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
This feels like a long shot, and I appreciate any help that's available.

Gary S
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Win32 App Crashes in Windows Xp guest after a Windows 10 Host software update

Post by scottgus1 »

The only odd thing I see in the operation of the VM is this:
00:00:16.696844 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
Your computer's VT-x is not on. This condition may have existed before the problem occurred, though, since your XP VM has only one processor and did not need VT-x. Virtualbox 6.0.x also does not need VT-x.

I do see lots of host sleeps while the VM is running. I'd check to see if the ACT program runs after a complete normal shutdown and restart of the VM.

I don't see any problems that would crash that one program yet allow the rest of the programs to run in the VM. We'll need a better eye than mine to see if there is anything to see.

Meanwhile, I'd look into undoing that Microsoft come-on.
GaryS

Re: Win32 App Crashes in Windows Xp guest after a Windows 10 Host software update

Post by GaryS »

Please excuse my tardy reply to your speedy message of 17 Oct. I missed seeing the email notification, got off on other fire-fights, and just now getting back to this. I appreciate your thoughts, and I have done both the complete normal shutdown and restart several times over this intervening time. Also spent a significant amount of time trying to Rollback or Undo several of MS's "updates." I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and update myself to a more modern contact management/scheduling program. Thanks again for your reply.