virtual machine "inaccessbile"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: virtual machine "inaccessbile"

Post by mpack »

I'm not really keen to get involved in Windows tuition - this is a VirtualBox discussion site.

But, briefly, command line parameters cannot include spaces. So any parameter that would include spaces "should be wrapped in double quote marks".

I would also note that you only need the VDI, but copying the entire folder should be harmless.
wizz

Post by wizz »

wizz wrote:
mpack wrote:xcopy is a command available in the Windows command prompt. You can Google for details.
how to use xcopy command can you tell me because when i used this command so it something that mention on screenshot and can tell me what is format of xcopy as giving example of my file.
xcopy works but in different ways but really really great and nice idea its works now what is next idea what i do?
Attachments
xxx.PNG
xxx.PNG (15.4 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As I already said, once you have the VDI copied to a healthy drive you can retry CloneVDI on the copy: and it will go a lot faster if "healthy drive" is an SSD.
wizz

Post by wizz »

mpack wrote:As I already said, once you have the VDI copied to a healthy drive you can retry CloneVDI on the copy: and it will go a lot faster is "healthy drive" is an SSD.
now i really want to make a clone i cannot now add it in virtualbox ? and if it require clone so i make it clone in now file where i move my folder by using xcode for example previous my virtual machine or as i can say virtual machine window7 in c drive but after using xcode now its in different drive so now i make it clone in ddifferent drive?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Wizz, you really have to start proofreading your posts. Your last post is barely intelligible. Please use proper English capitalization and punctuation, and check what you have typed. If English is not your native language, please use your native language and we can use translation services.

From the CloneVDI instructions:
you will have to unregister the old media in VirtualBox and register the new clone.
This means to detach the damaged drive from your VM:
Open the VM's Storage settings.
Right-click the damaged drive and click Remove Attachment

Then attach the cloned drive file to the VM in the old drive file's place.
Right-click the Controller that held the drive you removed.
Click Add Hard Disk, then Choose Existing disk.
in the next window click Add, then browse to and select the cloned drive file made by CloneVDI.

The new drive file should now be attached to the VM, and you can try the VM.
wizz

Post by wizz »

scottgus1 wrote:Wizz, you really have to start proofreading your posts. Your last post is barely intelligible. Please use proper English capitalization and punctuation, and check what you have typed. If English is not your native language, please use your native language and we can use translation services.

From the CloneVDI instructions:
you will have to unregister the old media in VirtualBox and register the new clone.

in the next window click Add, then browse to and select the cloned drive file made by CloneVDI.

hi,
thank you for your reply but you cant understand what i said like i am using xcopy
c drive is bad drive so i copy or move it to the E: drive so now i make the clone on E:\ drive and before making clone can i change the name of the file in
some screenshot i mention it so i think you understand as screenshot as you can see c:\ is bad drive so using xcopy that you give me a good good suggestion :D :D :D i move it to another drive so now can i make rename vdi and whole file and then make it clone ?
Attachments
Capture78768.PNG
Capture78768.PNG (14.03 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
e.PNG
e.PNG (662 Bytes) Viewed 3685 times
c.PNG
c.PNG (1.03 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

There is no need to rename anything. Just run CloneVDI on the copy as you tried to do before with the original. This time CloneVDI should repair the damaged header and run to completion without incurring a host disk error.
wizz

Post by wizz »

mpack wrote:There is no need to rename anything. Just run CloneVDI on the copy as you tried to do before with the original. This time CloneVDI should repair the damaged header and run to completion without incurring a host disk error.
hey mpack,
thank you soooo muchhh :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
clone is done means no error come during cloning process i show you some screenshot so you can check it and i tell you cloning become faster really it do not take an hour means previously it take 5 hours and a day but now this thing is not happen again thank you now what i do next can you tell me? and yes clone it on another drive where i move file by using xcopy means for example
C:\ is not healthy drive :roll:
so using xcopy i move file to another drive and in that drive i make clone.
Attachments
win.PNG
win.PNG (10.22 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
clone.PNG
clone.PNG (6.16 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Now create a new VM but tell it not to create a new hard disk. Then drop the clone VDI into the new VM folder. Then use the VM settings Storage panel to add the VDI to the SATA controller. Then boot the VM.

This may create a Win7 VM that is no longer activated. Ideally you would drop the clone VDI into the existing VM (remove the old storage, add the new).
wizz

Post by wizz »

mpack wrote:Now create a new VM but tell it not to create a new hard disk. Then drop the clone VDI into the new VM folder. Then use the VM settings Storage panel to add VDI to the SATA controller. Then boot the VM.

This may create a Win7 VM that is no longer activated. Ideally you would drop the clone VDI into the existing VM (remove the old storage, add the new).
so can i remove exisitng vdi that is inaccessible and add or attached this new clone vdi ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

wizz wrote:so can i remove exisitng vdi that is inaccessible and add or attached this new clone vdi ?
mpack wrote:Ideally you would drop the clone VDI into the existing VM (remove the old storage, add the new).
scottgus1 wrote:From the CloneVDI instructions:

wizz

Post by wizz »

scottgus1 wrote:
wizz wrote:so can i remove exisitng vdi that is inaccessible and add or attached this new clone vdi ?
mpack wrote:Ideally you would drop the clone VDI into the existing VM (remove the old storage, add the new).
scottgus1 wrote:From the CloneVDI instructions:

i understand to remove corrupt vdi and add or attach clone vdi but which method i remove it means there is two option to remove vdi as you can know first is my vdi is inaccessible so when i open my virtualbox so it shows error message and it show go to check when i click on check so virtual media manager open so there is also option shows like remove,release,copy,refresh and modfiy as i show on screenshot and second option to remove vdi is go to setting\storage unders storage in storage tree there is SATA port 0 and SATA port 1 so can you tell me which option i choose to remove old vdi and add clone vdi and yes i mention two option in screenshot as you can see so you can understand easily.
Attachments
storage tree.PNG
storage tree.PNG (14.91 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
c455.PNG
c455.PNG (11.01 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
error.PNG
error.PNG (14.14 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
wizz

Post by wizz »

mpack wrote:Now create a new VM but tell it not to create a new hard disk. Then drop the clone VDI into the new VM folder. Then use the VM settings Storage panel to add VDI to the SATA controller. Then boot the VM.

and after attaching vdi so it run as normal means open window then i get my files or it shows window installation?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

wizz wrote:can you tell me which option i choose
I gave you specific instructions:
scottgus1 wrote: Open the VM's Storage settings.

wizz wrote:then i get my files or it shows window installation?
If you're asking what it will do, then we don't know. Only you can tell us what happens.
After dealing with the corruption and disk error, the OS may be broken and require a repair or reinstall. Or it may boot fine and allow you to get your data. Or it may boot fine but some of your data may be damaged. Trying it is the only way to find out what will happen.
wizz

Post by wizz »

scottgus1 wrote:
wizz wrote:can you tell me which option i choose
I gave you specific instructions:
scottgus1 wrote: Open the VM's Storage settings.

wizz wrote:then i get my files or it shows window installation?
If you're asking what it will do, then we don't know. Only you can tell us what happens.
After dealing with the corruption and disk error, the OS may be broken and require a repair or reinstall. Or it may boot fine and allow you to get your data. Or it may boot fine but some of your data may be damaged. Trying it is the only way to find out what will happen.
means i need to choose second option go to virtualbox >storage>under storage >storage tree > and under controller:SATA remove vdi and add clone vdi