virtual machine "inaccessbile"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
wizz

virtual machine "inaccessbile"

Post by wizz »

i am using virtualbox 5.1 and my window7.vdi get inaccessible something like this SATA port 0:window7.vdi (Normal,inaccessible) and when i try to change uuid to solve this problem so it show something like this

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage internalcommands sethduuid "C:\Use
rs\YANKY\VirtualBox VMs\window7\window7 - Copy.vbox" a018fdbe-0266-46c0-be51-6b
85d714ad8e
VBoxManage.exe: error: Format autodetect failed: VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED
when i copy it do so it show same error and beofre without copy vdi file it show same error
C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage internalcommands sethduuid "C:\Use
rs\YANKY\VirtualBox VMs\window7\window7.vbox"
VBoxManage.exe: error: Format autodetect failed: VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED
and in virtual media manager shows no virtual size and actual size. how i get new uuid and solve this inaccessible problem?

screenshot mention below----------
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (3.37 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
2.PNG
2.PNG (19.53 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
1.PNG
1.PNG (16.77 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: virtual machine "inaccessbile"

Post by scottgus1 »

Changing UUID won't help in this case. The disk file's header is bad.

Try the disk file in Mpack's CloneVDI. If it can be fixed, CloneVDI can fix it. Otherwise, it's restore-from-backup time.
wizz

Post by wizz »

thank you for your reply i try this option but when i try to clone so it show error something like this
Attachments
C3.PNG
C3.PNG (22.7 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That is not CloneVDI. Scott gave you a link to what is.
wizz

Post by wizz »

where is the link? and if i used that tool so i can open vdi as normally and i open my window as normal way because lot of data in window and i want to take it.and tell me one more thing why uuid not effective or not solve my problem ? and if i used that tool so is it safe for my host window and if i make a clone so it effect my vdi file or it can remove any data or something else.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

wizz wrote:where is the link?
Look at my post above carefully. The blue underlined word "CloneVDI" is the link.
wizz wrote:i used that tool so i can open vdi as normally
If the vdi is fixable, CloneVDI will fix it, and you can use the cloned VDI in your VM.
wizz wrote:if i used that tool so is it safe for my host window
Yes. Many people have used it safely, including me.
wizz wrote:if i make a clone so it effect my vdi file
CloneVDI does not change the original file.
wizz wrote:why uuid not effective or not solve my problem ?
Why is a hammer not effective at driving a screw? :D

A UUID is part of the header, not the whole header. If the header is damaged, simply changing part of the damage will not work. All of the damage has to be fixed.
wizz

Post by wizz »

scottgus1 wrote:
wizz wrote:where is the link?
Look at my post above carefully. The blue underlined word "CloneVDI" is the link.
wizz wrote:i used that tool so i can open vdi as normally
If the vdi is fixable, CloneVDI will fix it, and you can use the cloned VDI in your VM.
wizz wrote:if i used that tool so is it safe for my host window
Yes. Many people have used it safely, including me.
wizz wrote:if i make a clone so it effect my vdi file
CloneVDI does not change the original file.
wizz wrote:why uuid not effective or not solve my problem ?
Why is a hammer not effective at driving a screw? :D

A UUID is part of the header, not the whole header. If the header is damaged, simply changing part of the damage will not work. All of the damage has to be fixed.
nice question Why is a hammer not effective at driving a screw? :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P
and thanks for reply me yeah i check it and i download it but when i open it and add my vdi file so it shows in validation result source file is not recognised VDI file format what does it mean?
i share with you some screenshot can you guide me what i do step by step means in options it shows generate new uuid so what i do in which option i check and in which option i uncheck it?
Attachments
Cap7896765756765.PNG
Cap7896765756765.PNG (12.7 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
Cap6.PNG
Cap6.PNG (8.68 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
cap5.PNG
cap5.PNG (11.51 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

CloneVDI comes with instructions, which you should read and follow. You will need enough host disk space for a copy of the damaged VDI.

In your first screenshot, the Repair button is active. Click "Compact Drive while copying" to save host disk space. Try clicking Repair and see what happens.
wizz

Post by wizz »

scottgus1 wrote:CloneVDI comes with instructions, which you should read and follow. You will need enough host disk space for a copy of the damaged VDI.

In your first screenshot, the Repair button is active. Click "Compact Drive while copying" to save host disk space. Try clicking Repair and see what happens.
there is just a question and answer thats it and can i choose different destination?
wizz

Post by wizz »

thank for tool but it shows error something like that that i mention on a screeenshot now what i do ? and tell me how to change uuid i think it can sokve change my problem. :( :(
Attachments
54.PNG
54.PNG (16.33 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Windows error 23 is "ERROR_CRC". It indicates a hard bad sector error on the source hard drive. Unfortunately CloneVDI has no option for ignoring file errors, so all I can suggest is that you copy the file to a good hard disk using some other tool, and then try CloneVDI again to repair the header corruption. Note that CloneVDI will not repair disk image corruption, but at least it looks close to the end of the drive, so you may not lose much.

I would suggest that you Google for advice on copying files while ignoring errors. I see that the "xcopy" terminal command has a "/c" option to ignore errors, but I have never used that option so I can't say it will definitely work.

It sounds like the host drive needs to be replaced.

p.s. What is drive E? If that's a USB flash drive then it's making this whole process much slower than it needs to be - 10MB/s is a terrible transfer rate. It should be a USB3 drive, ideally an SSD but otherwise a mechanical backup drive. Not a flash drive.
wizz

Post by wizz »

mpack wrote:Windows error 23 is "ERROR_CRC". It indicates a hard bad sector error on the source hard drive. Unfortunately CloneVDI has no option for ignoring file errors, so all I can suggest is that you copy the file to a good hard disk using some other tool, and then try CloneVDI again to repair the header corruption. Note that CloneVDI will not repair disk image corruption, but at least it looks close to the end of the drive, so you may not lose much.

I would suggest that you Google for advice on copying files while ignoring errors. I see that the "xcopy" terminal command has a "/c" option to ignore errors, but I have never used that option so I can't say it will definitely work.

p.s. What is drive E? If that's a USB flash drive then it's making this whole process much slower than it needs to be - 10MB/s is a terrible transfer rate. It should be a USB3 drive, ideally an SSD but otherwise a mechanical backup drive. Not a flash drive.
E drive is another drive means i choose destination another drive not same drive
wizz

Post by wizz »

mpack wrote:Windows error 23 is "ERROR_CRC". It indicates a hard bad sector error on the source hard drive. Unfortunately CloneVDI has no option for ignoring file errors, so all I can suggest is that you copy the file to a good hard disk using some other tool, and then try CloneVDI again to repair the header corruption. Note that CloneVDI will not repair disk image corruption, but at least it looks close to the end of the drive, so you may not lose much.

and what is xcopy command can you explain me?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

xcopy is a command available in the Windows command prompt. You can Google for details.
wizz

Post by wizz »

mpack wrote:xcopy is a command available in the Windows command prompt. You can Google for details.
how to use xcopy command can you tell me because when i used this command so it something that mention on screenshot and can tell me what is format of xcopy as giving example of my file.
Attachments
56.PNG
56.PNG (684 Bytes) Viewed 4177 times
4.PNG
4.PNG (1020 Bytes) Viewed 4177 times