moving to a new host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Sammy7

moving to a new host

Post by Sammy7 »

Hi,

I am not sure how the VM works with referencing a new physical machine which is being the host. We recently upgraded and purchased a new computer. I copied the VM file from the previous host to this new one and the Vm booted up fine and all the software was installed identically to how it was on the previous machine. However one particular software shows as not activated and wants me to activate. Although this software is licensed it is no longer supported so the company won't activate it. Why would the VM not see it as activated if copying the same VM file. I am guessing it sees something different on the hardware of the new machine and wondering if anyone knows what it is and how to get around this.

Thanks,
Sam
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: moving to a new host

Post by BillG »

Yes, it is the same file, but it is a different '"machine".

Most of the host machine's hardware is not seen by the vm, but some things are, most obviously the processor. It the new machine has a different CPU that will be seen in the vm and could definitely trigger an activation.
Bill
Sammy7

Post by Sammy7 »

That’s what I figured. Is there any way around this? To trick it?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Sammy7 wrote:Is there any way around this? To trick it?
Maybe, depending on what you moved, and on how the program activates:
Sammy7 wrote:I copied the VM file
If this was only the .vdi, vmdk, etc, namely the disk file, then only the VM's 'hard drive' was copied and the 'rest of the computers was left behind, including the 'motherboard'.

If you copied the whole VM folder including the .vbox file, then that includes the 'motherboard' and rest of the 'hardware'. These other parts are important to copy together as a group.

Only one other thing may prevent activation: the host CPU. The physical CPU is the only part of physical hardware that the VM sees. If the program activates based n identifications from the CPU, then the new host will present a new CPU and break activation.

If the full VM folder was copied and registered in toto without changes on the new host, then editing the CPU characteristics may be needed. Investigate 'vboxmanage modifyvm "vm name" --cpuid' or '--cpu-profile'.