Unable to ping Linux 8 Guest OS from Windows 10 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TeamVirtualbox

Unable to ping Linux 8 Guest OS from Windows 10 Host

Post by TeamVirtualbox »

Team,
I just installed Virtual Box 6.1 on a Win 10 Laptop, installed Oracle Linux 8.4 using the ISO image. After installation of which i am not able to ping to the Guest OS LInux, tried the following

1) Firewall disabled in Host WIn 10 OS
2) In settings of the Virtual box - Network for Adapter 1 is set to - Bridge and Adapter 2 is - Host only ( hope this is right)

3) tried setting static IP for the Linux guest OS using the below commands and nmtui interface in Linux Guest OS

# nmcli con mod enp0s3 ipv4.addresses 192.168.20.170/24

Set the gateway on RHEL 8:

# nmcli con mod enp0s3 ipv4.gateway 192.168.20.1

Inform the interface that it is using manual configuration (not dhcp etc.).

# nmcli con mod enp0s3 ipv4.method manual

Configure DNS:

# nmcli con mod enp0s3 ipv4.dns "8.8.8.8"

Reload the interface configuration:

# nmcli con up enp0s3

Still after trying other options like "enabling promiscuous mode" in Virtual box network settings , unable to succeed in pinging the GUest OS from the Win 10 Host OS.

Not sure what all i am missing here or what is to be checked further to enable this, so that i can start my activity of installing ORACLE DB.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Unable to ping Linux 8 Guest OS from Windows 10 Host

Post by mpack »

I see no mention of what network mode you configured for the VM. That is really the only relevant fact here - none of the other stuff you mention determines what network a PC is attached to.
 Edit:  Belay that, I see the mention of a dual bridged and "host only" connection now. 
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unable to ping Linux 8 Guest OS from Windows 10 Host

Post by scottgus1 »

First, see Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures so you know what Bridged and Host-Only do. For example, having two networks enabled means there are two network adapters in the VM, but the commands posted apply to only one adapter. FWIW either Bridged or Host-Only allow pings to the VM, but only if no pebcak errors were made in setting up the VM OS's use of the network adapters provided.
TeamVirtualbox wrote: tried setting static IP for the Linux guest OS
Did the OS report getting a dynamic IP address from DHCP beforehand? If not, what is your host computer's IP address & gateway?