Virtualbox with Windows 10 / i9-11950H host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hsweeten

Virtualbox with Windows 10 / i9-11950H host

Post by hsweeten »

Hello all,

After many years my company is getting me a new laptop, a Dell Precision 7760 Workstation with an i9-11950H processor.

Are there any issues I should expect with this host?

I have a (realllly old) CentOS VM that I use for an embedded PowerPC system we still use. That is the main VM I am concerned about.

That VM currently works fine on my current laptop with an i7-7500U processor other than a couple issues.
1) The Linux kernel (2.6.something) running in the VM complains about the CPU not being supported.
2) The GUI resolution is always screwed up when the VM is started. It's annoying but can be resized so I deal with it.

Also, does VirtualBox work with Windows 11? Not planning on updating to Windows 11 right now but would like to know if I could in the future.

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox with Windows 10 / i9-11950H host

Post by scottgus1 »

hsweeten wrote:Are there any issues I should expect with this host?
Hard to predict. As with any Windows, Hyper-V may or may not cause trouble. Just have to try it.
hsweeten wrote:I have a (realllly old) CentOS VM that I use for an embedded PowerPC system we still use.
Copy the whole VM folder with the .vbox file and the disk file to the new laptop. If there is any trouble, post in the forum with the exact error message and a log from the VM.
hsweeten wrote:The Linux kernel (2.6.something) running in the VM complains about the CPU not being supported.
Might be possible the old Linux doesn't like the new CPU. Post in Linux Guests about fixing this one.
hsweeten wrote:The GUI resolution is always screwed up when the VM is started. It's annoying but can be resized so I deal with it.
Working Guest Additions may help. Also a subject for Linux Guests.
hsweeten wrote:does VirtualBox work with Windows 11?
Jacob Klein in Windows Hosts Preview subforum has working Virtualbox on W11 previews, as well as other forum gurus. I assume this is also true of the October 5 initial release.