VMs no longer start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Larry F

VMs no longer start

Post by Larry F »

I have been running VirtualBox (updated to v 6.1.26 r145957 I believe in late August) on a Windows host (Windows 10 Enterprise build 17763.1935) with Linux Mint VMs for over 2 years now with no errors. Everything was working fine until I shut down my laptop for the weekend on Friday, Sept. 17. When I restarted Monday, Sept. 20, at first VB Manager wouldn't even start. Following a procedure I found when searching for the error I received, I was able to get around that issue by using "run as administrator" although it does puzzle me why it worked without doing so all these months. However, once I got VB Manager to start, I now get the following popup window error messages in sequence, and I am unable to start either of my existing VMs, the same ones I have been using since the beginning.

First popup reads:
VirtualBox - Error

Start LM-MATE64 errors:

You must specify a machine to start, using the command line.

Usage: VirtualBoxVM --startvm <name|UUID>
Starts the VirtualBox virtual machine with the given name or unique identifier (UUID).
It appears over the top of a popup which simply reads:
Starting VM
Creating process for virtual machine "LM-MATE64"
When I click OK on the error window, both of the above popup windows close and a second error popup window opens which reads:
VirtualBox - Error

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine LM-MATE64.

The virtual machine 'LM-MATE64' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 0 (0x0). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\larry.fritz\VirtualBox VMs\LM-MATE64\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
I am starting the VMs from VB Manager by selecting the VM and clicking the Start button, as I have always done. Oddly, on Tuesday, Sept. 21, I was able to start my primary VM from the saved state in which I had left it the previous Friday, was able to use it for a short time, and I intentionally shut it down (i.e., not saved state). Since then I always get these errors no matter what I've done from restarting the host to restarting VirtualBox. I think my IT dept. changed something on the host the week before it stopped working, but I can't tell what. And I am so far getting no response from the ticket I raised with them to investigate. I am hoping to get some insight into what might be causing my problem from the forum so I can take it up with them when I do finally get a response. I can provide the VBoxHardening.log file if it would be of use, but it ends with this, which doesn't tell me anything intelligible:
2f24.3bb8: Terminating the normal way: rcExit=0
2fa0.4798: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[2]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x0 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 204453 ms, the end);
4944.4aa4: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor[1]: Quitting: ExitCode=0x0 (rcNtWait=0x0, rcNt1=0x0, rcNt2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 205206 ms, the end);
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VMs no longer start

Post by scottgus1 »

I have never seen a hardening error with an exit code of 0. 0 means there were no errors.

Try reinstalling Virtualbox using right-click-Run-As-Administrator. Otherwise, talk to your boss. IT can rule with an iron fist, and if they pushed something, you and we may not be able to get around it. If you can convince your boss that Virtualbox is needed for your work, the boss will make IT get Virtualbox running.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: VMs no longer start

Post by fth0 »

Perhaps Cylance Protect rings a bell ...