VMDK: inconsistency between grain table and backup grain table

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
LogicalUnit

VMDK: inconsistency between grain table and backup grain table

Post by LogicalUnit »

Hi everyone,

I have been happily using VirtualBox for several years. Over the weekend, my server ran out of disk space and crashed. Now, when I try to run my VM, I get the following error:

VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_HEADER

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

I have done some searching, and the most promising suggestion is to use vmware-vdiskmanager to repair the corrupted VMDK file: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82051

I have tried installing VMware Workstation 16 Player for Windows, but it doesn't seem to include this tool.

Can anyone help me fix this VM please?
Attachments
Error Message
Error Message
VirtualBox1.png (77.92 KiB) Viewed 3295 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VMDK: inconsistency between grain table and backup grain table

Post by mpack »

The message indicates a corrupted VMDK. VirtualBox offers no repair tools for VMDK (it is not the native format), so your best bet is a good backup.

Failing a good backup, a suggestion that comes with absolutely no guarantees: try cloning the VMDK using CloneVDI, remember to check "Compact" and "Keep UUID". If it works (it might, since ISTR it doesn't bother with that backup grain table validation check) then you should have a usable VDI, perhaps with a corrupted filesystem that will have to be repaired using guest tools.

I suggest that you stick with VDI in future if you expect repair expertise on the VirtualBox forums.

Your situation is greatly complicated by your inexplicable decision to use snapshots. When using CloneVDI you must select as source the newest readable snapshot file, not the base VMDK.
LogicalUnit

Post by LogicalUnit »

Hi, thanks for the answer.

I do have a good backup -- I did a full export of the appliance into an .ova file about 6 weeks ago. I believe this includes a good copy of the VMDK.

I understand that snapshots complicate things, but that's how the VM was when I found it. How can I stop using snapshots after I restore from backup?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

LogicalUnit wrote:How can I stop using snapshots after I restore from backup?
There are a couple of ways:

You can simply delete the three snapshots pictured in the screenshot above, leaving the current state as the only remaining state. Note that I never use snapshots myself, so I don't know for certain that that eliminates all snapshot-isms from the VM config, but I'm hopeful that it does. You will still have your backup, so no need to be nervous doing this.

Another option is to clone the VM, keeping the current state only. The clone will have no snapshots. Be sure to use the option to preserve machine IDs, in case you have software that must maintain activation. Test the VM and if everything is working you should be able to delete the older VM.

Finally, note that exporting the VM to "OVA" does not make a true backup, it instead makes a new VM with new machine IDs. That may not matter to a Zen Server (I have no idea about that), but a better general VM backup strategy is simply to copy the VM folder to secondary storage. That guarantees that the restored VM is identical to what you backed up, which is surely the goal of any backup.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

LogicalUnit wrote:I did a full export of the appliance into an .ova file
If I have read correctly over the years, your VM may import as a single-disk non-snapshotted VM. I don't think that exporting is compatible with snapshots, so the VM's snapshots may have been merged down to one disk file to make the OVA.
LogicalUnit

Post by LogicalUnit »

I have tried to import my .ova appliance file but there was a problem

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG
(0x80070057)

Any idea what to do here? This backup was made well before the VMDK was corrupted.
Attachments
Error Code
Error Code
VirtualBox3.png (32.39 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
LogicalUnit

Post by LogicalUnit »

mpack wrote:The message indicates a corrupted VMDK. VirtualBox offers no repair tools for VMDK (it is not the native format), so your best bet is a good backup.

Failing a good backup, a suggestion that comes with absolutely no guarantees: try cloning the VMDK using CloneVDI, remember to check "Compact" and "Keep UUID". If it works (it might, since ISTR it doesn't bother with that backup grain table validation check) then you should have a usable VDI, perhaps with a corrupted filesystem that will have to be repaired using guest tools.

I suggest that you stick with VDI in future if you expect repair expertise on the VirtualBox forums.

Your situation is greatly complicated by your inexplicable decision to use snapshots. When using CloneVDI you must select as source the newest readable snapshot file, not the base VMDK.
Thanks for this suggestion. Does it stand any chance of working if the VMDK is in Differencing mode? This is due to the snapshot complications, I think.

Clarification: I don't need snapshots at all and am happy to get rid of them if it will recover my disk.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

From my above post:
When using CloneVDI you must select as source the newest readable snapshot file, not the base VMDK.
Put the base VMDK and all snapshots into a single folder, select the newest snapshot and clone it. CloneVDI doesn't give you a choice about retaining the snapshot structure - the data is kept (in a VDI) but the structure itself is discarded.
LogicalUnit

Post by LogicalUnit »

I had a go with CloneVDI but it looks like it's not going to work
Attachments
CloneVDI error
CloneVDI error
VirtualBox4.png (12.73 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You can try the next oldest snapshot, see if that can be recovered. With your description of the problem it makes no sense that every file in the set would be corrupted: only the last file was opened for writing. For all files to be corrupted something would have to have been left out of the story, e.g. deleting the files and then trying an undelete tool.

p.s. Per my instructions above, the "Keep old UUID" option should be set.