Portable version of Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
valentino.b

Portable version of Virtualbox

Post by valentino.b »

Hi all

exists the portable version of VirtualBox, newer that 5.1.22? :?:

Thank you
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Portable version of Virtualbox

Post by scottgus1 »

"Portable Virtualbox" is not supported here. That's someone else's project. You'll have to ask them if they support more recent versions of Virtualbox.
valentino.b

Post by valentino.b »

THANK YOU :!:
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

FWIW as best I understand, "Portable Virtualbox" still requires an installation behind the scenes, which requires Admin privileges. At which point you might as well install up-to-date official Virtualbox and skip the "portable" part.

You can store a whole Virtualbox VM on an external SSD (not thumb drive, those die quick when running an OS on them) and run it on a person's computer if you can get them to install official Virtualbox. They'd need to grant you admin privileges to run Portable Virtualbox.
valentino.b

Post by valentino.b »

I would like to upgrade my v.5 because cannot import .ova created with newest versions.

I found here much updated releases
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.26/
but I don't know if they are portable.

Surely, this is the direct link of the portable version http://dlc-cdn.sun.com/virtualbox/6.1.2 ... 57-Win.exe of 6.1.26 version.
but I never test it and I don't know if
- needs admin privileges
- install something

I remember that my v.5 version had installed driver for LAN bridge (do i have to remove them before installing the new version?)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Official Virtualbox from Oracle (including that dlc-cdn.sun.com website) is not designed to be portable. On Windows hosts, Virtualbox must have a full installation into the Windows MSI database with dll, driver and registry plug-ins. If installation of regular programs requires admin privileges on your host OS, then installation of Virtualbox will require admin privileges on your host OS.

The dlc-cdn.sun.com website is an alternate name for Oracle's website, and the linked .exe is the official download of normal Virtualbox.

Oracle does not distribute a special non-installed version of Virtualbox.

To upgrade an installed version of Virtualbox, uninstall the old version, reboot, then install the new version. The VMs will remain behind ready to run after the upgrade is complete.